The Student Room Group

Year 10 mocks how do I revise

Hi everyone I have my year 10 mocks coming up after the holidays. I have a month and I was wondering what are the best ways to revise for subjects like science, maths and English and my other gcse subjects which are geography, religious studies, media studies I do art as well but theirs nothing to memorise for that really. Any help will help!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hailey629
Hi everyone I have my year 10 mocks coming up after the holidays. I have a month and I was wondering what are the best ways to revise for subjects like science, maths and English and my other gcse subjects which are geography, religious studies, media studies I do art as well but theirs nothing to memorise for that really. Any help will help!

Best way to revise is to learn information for the first 1-2 weeks, like 2-4 hours a day. And stick to doing only max 2 subjects a day and spend 2 days revising it. For example from Monday to Tuesday only History and Geography and then Wednesday to Thursday another 2 subjects. For maths just spend a week revising your notes and how to do questions then after that just do a bunch of past papers and questions, that's the best way to revise maths is through practice. For the essay subjects, you need info first then you can practice. You don't have write essays or do all the past papers, but you can just make essay plans and do some of them. And towards the end of the holiday, make a list of the topics you get wrong or don't understand and prioritise them before the Mocks. Then just do past papers or practice. For MFL I suggest revising vocab and grammar every day (alternating) because you need long term memory for languages. For english I had to memorise quotes so I put up quotes around my wall and used quizlet to memorise quotes and I did this like 2-3 times a week and nearing the exam I did it everyday. Make sure you have all your notes done before the holidays, I dont suggest making notes during the holiday. It's better to actively revise before the exams

What are you doing revising for year 10 mocks they mean absolutely nothing
Reply 3
My year 10 mocks are on everything so we will be doing exams on them I think it will be like gcse practice or something but thank you for the help I will definitely give that a go
Reply 4
Thank you I have a tutor I currently use English already so I don’t think I need one since I need help with maths and partly science only thank you again
Reply 5

make mindmaps, do revision cards do exam questions, anything that involves active recall (when you are using ur brain to get info or like getting the information from memory) and revise your weakest topics. for essay based topics write loads of essays and remember them using revision cards. maths just do exam questions. english do lots of essays and remember quotes. geography i can't help with since i didn't do it. thats the main stuff
Original post by daveymcloughlin
What are you doing revising for year 10 mocks they mean absolutely nothing

That was the mindset of so many people this year...
Now some schools are using yr10 mocks as part of evidence to finalise a GCSE grade so don't discourage the OP by telling them "they mean absolutely nothing". Working a little hard with determination never killed anyone.
English - memorise quotes
Maths - make sure ur secure on all the topics, there’s a ton of resources online if u don’t want to use ur textbook
Science - same as maths; do the summary questions
Geography - read over ur notes/textbook, memorise case studies

To be completely honest, these exams mean nothing, u don’t really need to revise unless u feel particularly motivated... just don’t stress abt these basically :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by A* Sweep
That was the mindset of so many people this year...
Now some schools are using yr10 mocks as part of evidence to finalise a GCSE grade so don't discourage the OP by telling them "they mean absolutely nothing". Working a little hard with determination never killed anyone.

true that. y10 mocks are like the start of your gcses.
Reply 9
Original post by AI073
Hi Hailey,

I have experience in tutoring GCSE students. I can help teach/revise with you the content and show you the best way to answer exam technique. Send me a DM on ig - my handle is “the_gcse_tutor”

i swear advertising is banned.........
Original post by Ashprit
i swear advertising is banned........

TY! I hadn’t realised!

I have deleted the post now, thanks again!

hey bro!! i'm in yr10! and i have mocks next month too! (week starting 7th june)
i'm doing english, higher maths, triple science, geography, cooking, drama, french! we can PM and talk abt it if you want - i was actually revising right now actually haha! what grades are you aiming for?? :smile:
Hi Haieley, I am a year 11 student who has just finished his exams (to put things into context). I think since you have 1 month (which if I am honest is not a lot, if you haven’t touched the content before, but since you have asked this question I assume you care about your grades and have probably been working all year round), you should first go over the content. Now when I say ‘go over content’, what I really mean is first read the 2 pages and understand what it means. Now most people will just stop here, but this is not enough! You should then for each paragraph write a simple question e.g. For the space chapter in physics: “How is a star formed?”, and then you must explain the paragraph in your own words to the wall, as if you were giving a presentation, usually once people have done this they think, brilliant I am done...er...not really. Next you should write down the answer to the question. Through this you would have built several memory skills: You would have used your vocal chords, you would have trained your memory through audio, and you would have a muscle memory. I know this process is quite long, but in my experience this has really helped a lot. Now when you near your exam you shouldn’t feel as if all is done, since you have one final step to go: Maybe a week before, or even a day before (as per how much content there is) you should start to read through the ‘simple questions and answers’ you made, and after this you will be very very confident with all the content. If you want, time dependent, flick through some exam questions and see if there is any types that bother you, and try them using the markscheme (for the ease of speed). I think if you have done all this, your exams should be a breeze. But please remember this was only a strategy that I used, different strategies work for different people. By the way, this technique is actually based on the ‘Feynman technique’ and ‘active recall’. I hope this helped Hailey! Let us know how your year 10 mocks went, and please don’t listen to people who tell you they aren’t important, since I can tell you as a year 11 student, they are very very important (in a COVID-19 pandemic), but aren’t something you give up your social life and happiness for. This is a marathon and not a sprint! :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by TheSecretSayer
Hi Haieley, I am a year 11 student who has just finished his exams (to put things into context). I think since you have 1 month (which if I am honest is not a lot, if you haven’t touched the content before, but since you have asked this question I assume you care about your grades and have probably been working all year round), you should first go over the content. Now when I say ‘go over content’, what I really mean is first read the 2 pages and understand what it means. Now most people will just stop here, but this is not enough! You should then for each paragraph write a simple question e.g. For the space chapter in physics: “How is a star formed?”, and then you must explain the paragraph in your own words to the wall, as if you were giving a presentation, usually once people have done this they think, brilliant I am done...er...not really. Next you should write down the answer to the question. Through this you would have built several memory skills: You would have used your vocal chords, you would have trained your memory through audio, and you would have a muscle memory. I know this process is quite long, but in my experience this has really helped a lot. Now when you near your exam you shouldn’t feel as if all is done, since you have one final step to go: Maybe a week before, or even a day before (as per how much content there is) you should start to read through the ‘simple questions and answers’ you made, and after this you will be very very confident with all the content. If you want, time dependent, flick through some exam questions and see if there is any types that bother you, and try them using the markscheme (for the ease of speed). I think if you have done all this, your exams should be a breeze. But please remember this was only a strategy that I used, different strategies work for different people. By the way, this technique is actually based on the ‘Feynman technique’ and ‘active recall’. I hope this helped Hailey! Let us know how your year 10 mocks went, and please don’t listen to people who tell you they aren’t important, since I can tell you as a year 11 student, they are very very important! :smile:

I can say as a yr 13 student that got straight 9s that what’s more important is that u figure out what works for u... and for the record yr 10 mocks aren’t important enough that u stress abt them; only revise if u think u need it/want to

I have a good memory so I only did a week of revision (focusing on exam technique) before my real gcses... my brain is great with cramming but I personally struggle to stay focussed on a task bc I get bore so easily

Work out what works for u... eg I can memorise stuff from reading but I can’t by writing down stuff (I know I’m weird lol)
Reply 14
Original post by harlz_chalamet
hey bro!! i'm in yr10! and i have mocks next month too! (week starting 7th june)
i'm doing english, higher maths, triple science, geography, cooking, drama, french! we can PM and talk abt it if you want - i was actually revising right now actually haha! what grades are you aiming for?? :smile:

Hey I would love to pm and talk could you pm me as I have the app on my phone it doesn’t work. My target grade from school is a 6 which is a B but I’m aiming all 7’s and above I do media studies ,english, higher science ,higher maths, geography, religious studies, art and Turkish
Reply 15
Thank you everyone I see that nowadays I’m always doing flashcards and they are easier for me to memorise big chunks or quotes for English for example in and I tend to remember them for the exam. I’m getting 6- in English lit sciences I don’t get below a 4-5 for all sciences and in biology I got 7-6 baring in mind my last exam was 2-3 months ago. In maths it’s my weakest even though I understand everything I get 3-/3’s on higher as I’m set to do the higher paper I’m working very hard to take it up to a 6 minimum but I’m aiming all 7’s and above. Geography I get 6-7-8 always varies like 24/25 20/27 etc they are quite good grades usually. Art I’m at like a 6. Religious studies my last exam was a 8- I’m quite good at the subject I enjoy it a lot and that’s all my gcses I mainly want to focus on my science and maths as I need to memorise the physics equations and formulas like energy transferred and potential difference etc.
Hey I would love to pm and talk could you pm me as I have the app on my phone it doesn’t work. My target grade from school is a 6 which is a B but I’m aiming all 7’s and above I do media studies ,english, higher science ,higher maths, geography, religious studies, art and Turkish

ahhhh okay! and me too! i'm aiming for 7s, 8s and 9s!
school predicted me an 8 in all triple sciences and pretty much 7s in everything else! so we could deffo help each other! i'll pm you now :smile:
Reply 17
ahhhh okay! and me too! i'm aiming for 7s, 8s and 9s!
school predicted me an 8 in all triple sciences and pretty much 7s in everything else! so we could deffo help each other! i'll pm you now :smile:

With target grades here they take it down grades wide even if you live in a rough area meaning I guess bad area and I sort of do so I’m guessing that’s one reason why my grade was lower than expected and ours are from our year 7 exams and sats which I passed but it’s ridiculous

Same bro, I’ve got mocks soon as well, I’m a bit worried, my grade for maths is a 5 rn, biology is 5, chem is 5, physics is 6, English lit is 6, English lang is 7
idk why I’m a bit worried for them rn, I feel like they aren’t that good
Original post by Beastyuk
Same bro, I’ve got mocks soon as well, I’m a bit worried, my grade for maths is a 5 rn, biology is 5, chem is 5, physics is 6, English lit is 6, English lang is 7
idk why I’m a bit worried for them rn, I feel like they aren’t that good

hey maybe we could all help each other ?? are you in yr10 too??

Quick Reply

Latest