Can you please give feedback on my speech transcript

Watch
aryashinde
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I am in GCSE Year 10
Have you ever thought of how it would feel to be locked up in a cage and tested on multiple times?*silence* Animal testing is something we as people can't stop it from happening. Animals are tested to make up and being put through torture day by day. Sure, it could help cure disease for humans, but the last time I checked animals aren’t humans. “Ask the experimenters why they experiment on animals, and the answer is, ‘Because the animals are like us.’ Ask the experimenters why it is morally okay to experiment on animals, and the answer is, ‘Because the animals are not like us.'”–a quote by a well known professor and animal right activist, Charles Magel. Do you know the damaging effects animal product testing has on animals? How would you feel if someone told you that your own pet had to go through animal product testing? There are over 25 million of lab animals that go through animal product testing in a year and it is merely atrocious to know what animals have to undergo! I am infuriated of how inhumane us humans are!

An important factor here is that animals are kept in laboratory conditions that can influence the results through the raised amounts of stress they experience, changed diet, and even temperature. Also, the prevailing majority of all the tests are conducted without any anesthesia or analgesics, which has minimal scientific value though. In addition, animal testing can provide little information as to the long-term effects on human organism, and therefore, puts humans under the threat of the appearance of unknown side effects.

Over 100 million animals are burned, crippled, poisoned, and abused in US labs every year. 92% of experimental drugs that are safe and effective in animals fail in human clinical trials because they are too dangerous or don't work! Animals are treated poorly, thousands of them die each year, there are alternate ways to this procedure, what actually happens during animal product testing, and what is animal testing. Animal testing is the “ procedures performed on living animals for purposes of research into basic biology and diseases, assessing the effectiveness of new medicinal products, and testing the human health and/or environmental safety of consumer and industry products” Testing on an animals is unethical if you hate hunters for harming them down and killing them. What makes you any better than them when you use make-up that was tested on an animal. You know that animals are contained in harsh conditions, enduring suffering, and locked up in a cage for years. Does using animals as lab rats for good, shows that you still have any humanity inside of you? On the other hand, it helps scientists find cures for disease's and it's the only way that people don't get hurt.Harming animals for testing drugs is unethical for human to do.
Typically, facilities that engage in animal testing not only dispose of animals, but also dispose of potentially dangerous chemicals, food waste, and a variety of supplies used during the testing process! Additionally, animal testing also heavily impacts water and air quality. According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), waste from their animal testing facilities totaled 1.5 million pounds from 2011 to 2013. In another case, a major pharmaceutical lab was responsible for producing almost 15 tons of animal waste in just one year. More startling, perhaps, is the fact that many animals do not survive the animal testing process and are subsequently disposed of in large numbers. This results in environmental exposure to toxic chemicals, diseases, and other risks. In other words, the disposal process poses potentially dangerous exposure to biohazards, including radioactive materials.

Many scientists shown over the years that we don’t need animals to be tested on. When did we as people find a cure for a human disease and test it on an animal then see if it works? Exactly! it doesn’t make sense if you had to choose between a human and a mouse who would you pick. In that case, to put it you're saying that you are letting a mouse suffer and the other way around no matter what something or someone will suffer at the end. Only nine percent of products used on animals are on market. Furthermore, animal testing is costly and can be substituted by reasonable alternatives. Namely, according to estimations, testing for a single substance is likely to cost over $ 6 million and presupposes the usage of more than 8 hundred animals. At the same time, the computer-modelling techniques and in—vitro methods are much effective and less expensive. The artificial corneas or skin can be used to perform credible tests without any harm being made to the living beings. Today, the development of new technologies and the constant interest of researches who realize that animal testing is not effective from the scientific point of view expand the scope of the reliable alternative methods. The should become a new stage in cosmetic testing.

Taking all the arguments into consideration, it is completely clear that animal testing should be abandoned since it has reached the limit of its usefulness that could at least partially justify its usage. With the current development of civilization, ideas of humanism, and technologies it is hard to believe that someone can still believe that animal testing is an acceptable measure. Even more importantly, its effectiveness and reliability are the subjects of a great doubt. Thereof, this is a right time people should rethink their habit of thoughtless and careless usage of every single resource for the sake of satisfying personal needs, if not proceeding from moral considerations than from logical and scientific reasons.
m3nace
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I think it’s really good! you’ve made some good points here, i’d suggest using a higher level of vocab and developing your language over all and especially in the beginning, but overall your point and arguments were clear.
aryashinde
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by m3nace)
I think it’s really good! you’ve made some good points here, i’d suggest using a higher level of vocab and developing your language over all and especially in the beginning, but overall your point and arguments were clear.
thank you sm haha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
14.69%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.59%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.9%
I need help with my personal statement (58)
40.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
25.17%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.1%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
6.99%

Watched Threads