The Student Room Group

Elat + english (2022 entry) Applicants!

Hi I know this may be a little bit early but I am really interested in discussing how other potential applicants are feeling. Plus to be honest I just don't want to feel lost going into this process haha. Im hoping to potentially apply for english this year at Oxford.

Some info about me and a template:

Oxford or Cambridge (+college):
Oxford, maybe Brasenose, Wadham or Teddy Hall. It's so annoying open days have been cancelled up till now, so I haven't had the opportunity to really see 😫

Whats your favourite book/ author?
I really like the Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson haha, not the hardest but I loved reading it. Plus I really love 'Tis' a Pity She a Whore' by John Ford. If you ever want to read a Jacobean play I would highly recommend 😫

Have you started prep for the ELAT? How do you think you are going to prep?
No not yet, way too early I think ahah. Ive had a mild glance at the papers but nothing serious as of yet. I will probably plan a bunch and write a few. Any advice?

Other unis?
UCL, Durham, Lancaster, Manchester, Glasgow, etc
Along with English, I am also considering art maybe so I also have some art unis I am looking at. I am going to be doing an art foundation year in September so that will be fun.

Fun extracurriculars??
I do waterpolo haha.

Also i'm kinda a goodreads fanatic so please say if yall are on it please say I love looking at peoples goodreads 🥺🥺
(edited 2 years ago)
Thanks so much for creating this thread! Oxford is my absolute dream and I'm glad im not alone in feeling the tensions rising, ELAT gang?

Oxford or Cambridge (+collages):
I acc really love wadham too, it just looks so chill and inclusive
My boyfriend goes to brasenose atm, its just down the road so that would be quite fun if you catch my drift :wink:

Rn my fav is The Handmaid's Tale, its the feminist in me what can I say

No same! For some reason flicking through past papers has made me feel like I'm productive, should probably get on that....

Other unis?
I'd really like to move to London, big city vibes and all that, maybe UCL, kings, queens?

Fun extracurriculars??
Me and my boarding mates are quite the horse riding and polo fans, but I do dabble in the occasional poetry writing
Hi everyone! So excited we can all join in on the English preparation fun. Can't wait to see everyone at Oxford in 2022 :wink:

Choosing between St Johns, Christchurch or Trinity - love grand architecture and don't wanna apply to anywhere without a travel grant!

Whats your favourite book/author?
My favourite author is Jane Austen, probably Northanger Abbey. I'm super interested in the Gothic so it really appeals to me. I can't wait to get to explore different time periods of literature though - my school is fairly limited about older texts.

I've been at it a few weeks but not sure how it's going. I'm super into my poetry and these are the kind of essays I like to write for fun so I feel better than I could at this stage of the game.

Other unis?
I like other grand collegiate unis - probably just durham and maybe st andrews.

Fun extracurriculars?
All I can really say is reading; nothing grabs my attention the same as a good book!
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone! So excited we can all join in on the English preparation fun. Can't wait to see everyone at Oxford in 2022 :wink:

Choosing between St Johns, Christchurch or Trinity - love grand architecture and don't wanna apply to anywhere without a travel grant!

Whats your favourite book/author?
My favourite author is Jane Austen, probably Northanger Abbey. I'm super interested in the Gothic so it really appeals to me. I can't wait to get to explore different time periods of literature though - my school is fairly limited about older texts.

I've been at it a few weeks but not sure how it's going. I'm super into my poetry and these are the kind of essays I like to write for fun so I feel better than I could at this stage of the game.

Other unis?
I like other grand collegiate unis - probably just durham and maybe st andrews.

Fun extracurriculars?
All I can really say is reading; nothing grabs my attention the same as a good book!

Im so interested in the gothic 😫😫 I've read a bunch; the monk, dorian grey, franky, dracula, etc. but I have kinda avoided Jane Austen tbh i am worried shell be too overhyped and i am not really a comedy fan. What type of poetry have you read? I find it so difficult to get into a collection.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks so much for creating this thread! Oxford is my absolute dream and I'm glad im not alone in feeling the tensions rising, ELAT gang?

I acc really love wadham too, it just looks so chill and inclusive
My boyfriend goes to brasenose atm, its just down the road so that would be quite fun if you catch my drift :wink:

Rn my fav is The Handmaid's Tale, its the feminist in me what can I say

No same! For some reason flicking through past papers has made me feel like I'm productive, should probably get on that....

Other unis?
I'd really like to move to London, big city vibes and all that, maybe UCL, kings, queens?

Fun extracurriculars??
Me and my boarding mates are quite the horse riding and polo fans, but I do dabble in the occasional poetry writing

Thats so cool! what poetry do you write? can we see?
Hi thanks for asking, I'm acc quite private about my poetry! I write about things very personal to me you see, to really capture emotion and art into it, and I'm not sure I'm emotionally ready to share it with the world quite yet ...hit me up in a few years tho :wink:
Reply 6
Hey guys I'm also applying to Oxford for English
heres some info about me:

Oxford or Cambridge (+college):
Oxford, I'm thinking St. Nick's or Maudelaine, but Christ Church has also caught my eye.. still considering

I really like The Bell Jar, I feel like it really mirrors my experience in education and my aspirations in writing.

No not at all, and I don't really want to either... just going to wing it I think. A true artist can always go with the flow

Other unis?
haha lol im only applyinmg to Oxfgord i think i have a good chance of getting in

Fun extracurriculars??
sometimes i go to the park and hide in the trees and just watch people having fun
also i have a grade 8 in modern dance lol even though i hate dancing ://
yeah i like reading too i guess but i cant stomach it for more than like 10 minutes a day.. just gives me a headache
Reply 7
Best of luck with your applications everyone! Let me know if you have any questions either here or via PM. I go to Cambridge and made a guide on the application proces including the ELAT you can find here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6053600&p=84493550

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending