Chemistry, medicinal chemistry or biochemistry?

Watch
gracebx1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Can anyone me help me?
i am currently in year 12 and study biology, chemistry and maths a level.
My sixth form is talking about personal statements and i am feeling stressed. does anyone know what to put for extra curricular options based around chemistry?
I don't have my mocks for another 3 weeks but my target grades are AAA, and i am doing an epq but it isn't science based. i am deciding between chemistry, medicinal chemistry or biochemistry. i think biochemistry would be to biology based for me but i am unsure if i would able to do a pure chemistry degree. i enjoy the medicinal chemistry though.
i enjoy topics based on biological molecules and DNA does anyone suggest any university courses that could benefit me?
i am interested in doing a year in industry as well, possibly doing a masters integrated into undergraduate study
physgradstudent
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Have you considered pharmacy too? It's similar to your other options and includes medicinal chemistry, but maybe more vocational and clinical so you may or may not enjoy it.

In terms of stuff for e-c for chemistry there's things like the chemistry olympiad, chemistry related clubs at school, doing an online mooc in chemistry, reading books and magazines like chemistry world as well as any work experience you might have.
tahrimah55
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi I am in year 13 and I am doing chemistry at university. I would be more than happy to help with your personal statement.
gracebx1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
hi thank you so much.
i am wondering what sort of activities would make me stand out or elements of my personal statements such as MOOCs
do you have any suggestions?
tahrimah55
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by gracebx1)
hi thank you so much.
i am wondering what sort of activities would make me stand out or elements of my personal statements such as MOOCs
do you have any suggestions?
I didnt do any courses like MOOCS, i think its really important to talk about what interests you and why it does. For example, my personal statement was based around organic chemistry, in particular carbon and diamonds
roseflamingo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by physgradstudent)
Have you considered pharmacy too? It's similar to your other options and includes medicinal chemistry, but maybe more vocational and clinical so you may or may not enjoy it.

In terms of stuff for e-c for chemistry there's things like the chemistry olympiad, chemistry related clubs at school, doing an online mooc in chemistry, reading books and magazines like chemistry world as well as any work experience you might have.
There’s too many people going into pharmacy now, they probs have a better chance at chemistry etc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (32)
16.24%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (62)
31.47%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (23)
11.68%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (16)
8.12%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (11)
5.58%
I think it's an unfair expectation (50)
25.38%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.52%

Watched Threads