The Student Room Group

Should I drop out?

so i didn't go to uni until i was 22 to do a biomed degree with a foundation year. I'm in my 2nd year out of 4 and i hate it so much. i hate the course, i hate the uni, i hate my living situation and i wish i never went. i don't understand any of the content and the workload is insane, i have NO free time compared to my housemates and my mental health is worse than ever. I don't even want a career in science anymore but I'm scared to drop out due to 1) disappointing my parents and 2) not having a back up plan. I work part time in retail so i could easily get a full time job but i don't know what i want to do career wise like i have no clue. I know a degree would help me out in the future but i honestly don't think i can do 2 more years of this. I've had 10 exams this month and I'm pretty sure I've failed most of them tbh
Hi there, I am so sorry to read you are struggling with your course and it seems like every avenue in your life is very difficult right now, It is no wonder your mental health is suffering and you seem to have no escape here.

Sit down for a moment and think about your options. Would it be so bad if you dropped out right now? you are unhappy and you know your own mind and gut. This is your life. Don't suffer out of obligation. I am sure if you spoke to your parents about how this is making you feel they would understand and want to support you and your happiness. Many people start a degree and drop out to follow another path, or people complete a degree and still follow a different path.

Not everyone in this world really knows what they want to do with their life, but I believe thats theres no point torturing yourself, especially when you have given the degree a chance. If you don't want to continue, then don't. Take some time out for yourself, heal and the other things in your life will start to improve too. You are always able to go back to university to study something else in a years time.

Hec I did a design degree when i was 19 with a little one in tow and had no idea what i wanted to do. I then felt an obligation to stay in design but i soon realised it wasn't my calling. It took me a few years to realise that, I am now 31 and I recently quit my new job after 3 months because it was affecting my mental health, I was in the similar misery you seem to be in right now. I do not regret it for a moment. I feel like a huge weight has lifted and i'm taking the time for me. I don't have a job for the first time in years and i've slowly started to move towards other things; I have just been accepted to study mental health nursing, I have no experience in this industry but a pure fascination for the subject and some life experiences along the way. Don't get me wrong I still don't completely know what my calling is but i think this is closer than i was before.

So if i can do that my lovely you can do anything at all! you are a strong person and don't think for a second that because you drop out now that that's it for your life. It isn't, you will find another path. Just don't trap yourself in misery. You gave it your best and you hate it, it's just not for you. Sometimes that happens in life. I think once you stop doing what you hate everything else will start to come together....Try and find something you are passionate about but be patient with yourself. Don't be in such a rush to put yourself into a box. You will have many different talents that could really flourish when you start to realise them.

If you decide to stick at it then that's also great as you have worked really hard, but just make sure you are doing it for you. You could easily drop out, work full time and then go back to uni in a year and by the time you would have finished your current degree you could in fact be in another doing something you truly love. It is merely a few years difference in your life and it could be a whole lot better next year! You don't have to rush into things. Society makes us think we must follow a path to the letter but you don't. I know many successful people who don't even have a degree. Everyone has their own road and sometimes there are a few treacherous ones to cross but there's always the bright and sunny ones that follow.

Follow your gut. You can do this. It's your life and yours alone. What does your gut tell you?
Original post by pamalamalam
Hi there, I am so sorry to read you are struggling with your course and it seems like every avenue in your life is very difficult right now, It is no wonder your mental health is suffering and you seem to have no escape here.

Sit down for a moment and think about your options. Would it be so bad if you dropped out right now? you are unhappy and you know your own mind and gut. This is your life. Don't suffer out of obligation. I am sure if you spoke to your parents about how this is making you feel they would understand and want to support you and your happiness. Many people start a degree and drop out to follow another path, or people complete a degree and still follow a different path.

Not everyone in this world really knows what they want to do with their life, but I believe thats theres no point torturing yourself, especially when you have given the degree a chance. If you don't want to continue, then don't. Take some time out for yourself, heal and the other things in your life will start to improve too. You are always able to go back to university to study something else in a years time.

Hec I did a design degree when i was 19 with a little one in tow and had no idea what i wanted to do. I then felt an obligation to stay in design but i soon realised it wasn't my calling. It took me a few years to realise that, I am now 31 and I recently quit my new job after 3 months because it was affecting my mental health, I was in the similar misery you seem to be in right now. I do not regret it for a moment. I feel like a huge weight has lifted and i'm taking the time for me. I don't have a job for the first time in years and i've slowly started to move towards other things; I have just been accepted to study mental health nursing, I have no experience in this industry but a pure fascination for the subject and some life experiences along the way. Don't get me wrong I still don't completely know what my calling is but i think this is closer than i was before.

So if i can do that my lovely you can do anything at all! you are a strong person and don't think for a second that because you drop out now that that's it for your life. It isn't, you will find another path. Just don't trap yourself in misery. You gave it your best and you hate it, it's just not for you. Sometimes that happens in life. I think once you stop doing what you hate everything else will start to come together....Try and find something you are passionate about but be patient with yourself. Don't be in such a rush to put yourself into a box. You will have many different talents that could really flourish when you start to realise them.

If you decide to stick at it then that's also great as you have worked really hard, but just make sure you are doing it for you. You could easily drop out, work full time and then go back to uni in a year and by the time you would have finished your current degree you could in fact be in another doing something you truly love. It is merely a few years difference in your life and it could be a whole lot better next year! You don't have to rush into things. Society makes us think we must follow a path to the letter but you don't. I know many successful people who don't even have a degree. Everyone has their own road and sometimes there are a few treacherous ones to cross but there's always the bright and sunny ones that follow.

Follow your gut. You can do this. It's your life and yours alone. What does your gut tell you?

I think there will always be certain aspects of any degree/ career that are difficult or mundane but if your mental health is really affecting you then talk to your academic tutor/uni careers/ uni counselling and explain your situation fully so they can help explain your options

Maybe you could ask for a year out etc before fully committing either way ?

Quick Reply

Latest