Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi guys! It's my first time posting here

Since my exams have just ended, I'm hoping to get the names of the textbooks that will be used in 1st year and try to read ahead a bit. Would greatly appreciate it if any current LSE law students/ people who've got the book list for 1st year LSE law students can help with this!

Any tips for first-year LSE students are also appreciated Thanks a lot!!
LSE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hello, whilst it is not necessary to undertake any reading before joining LSE, you can access a list of indicative reading on the course guide pages.

You are also advised to watch the Department of Law's Virtual Undergraduate Offer Holders' event recording if you haven't already done so.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by LSE)
Hello, whilst it is not necessary to undertake any reading before joining LSE, you can access a list of indicative reading on the course guide pages.

You are also advised to watch the Department of Law's Virtual Undergraduate Offer Holders' event recording if you haven't already done so.
Thanks a lot for your reply will surely do so to better prepare myself!
Anonymous #2
Report 2 months ago
You do not need to read ahead. Honestly. Focus on enjoying yourself at Uni!

I have just read my entire third-year course in a single month. Don't sweat it, honestly.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
You do not need to read ahead. Honestly. Focus on enjoying yourself at Uni!

I have just read my entire third-year course in a single month. Don't sweat it, honestly.
any tips for a first year law student? kinda nervous about my first year at uni so that's why I'm trying to read ahead 🙈
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You could watch sone YouTube videos if say Marcus cleaver for the first year topics. He does public law, tort equity contract criminal etc. 10 mins on each bit so you can watch it to get an overview.

But stuff like letters to a law student or catherine barnards book are probably better prep as that’s about studying.

I also started listening to podcasts like law in action and watching politics shows on tv (which help with public law)
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Catherine1973)
You could watch sone YouTube videos if say Marcus cleaver for the first year topics. He does public law, tort equity contract criminal etc. 10 mins on each bit so you can watch it to get an overview.

But stuff like letters to a law student or catherine barnards book are probably better prep as that’s about studying.

I also started listening to podcasts like law in action and watching politics shows on tv (which help with public law)
nice suggestions! I've read letters to a law student and it offered some useful advice indeed
Anonymous #2
Report 2 months ago
any tips for a first year law student? kinda nervous about my first year at uni so that's why I'm trying to read ahead 🙈
My honest tips would be:

Get your priorities set and start working towards them asap.
If that priority is a job - Start drafting applications in Y1, apply to the schemes, go to networking events etc.
If that priority is grades - Do the readings, submit the formatives, take the feedback, learn how LSE like to do things.

Enjoy yourself - Remember, your first year only really counts if you are applying for VS's in Y2. It doesn't count towards your classification

I'd advise against reading outside of the curriculum. You don't want to end up with some entrenched views that you spout out during an essay that is entirely contradictory to the way the module is taught. You can google how the LSE/KCL Public Law teachers views diverge, for example.
Catherine1973
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Oh reading political biographies may be useful, Cameron maybe? Gives you background on stuff that happens in public law.
Anonymous #1
My honest tips would be:

Get your priorities set and start working towards them asap.
If that priority is a job - Start drafting applications in Y1, apply to the schemes, go to networking events etc.
If that priority is grades - Do the readings, submit the formatives, take the feedback, learn how LSE like to do things.

Enjoy yourself - Remember, your first year only really counts if you are applying for VS's in Y2. It doesn't count towards your classification

I'd advise against reading outside of the curriculum. You don't want to end up with some entrenched views that you spout out during an essay that is entirely contradictory to the way the module is taught. You can google how the LSE/KCL Public Law teachers views diverge, for example.
wow thanks so much for your tips!!

Do LSE students have forums where they discuss the above topics? I'm an international student so I only visit this forum for UK uni stuff haha
Anonymous #1
Oh reading political biographies may be useful, Cameron maybe? Gives you background on stuff that happens in public law.
Sorry if my question sounds silly, but does this subject require in-depth knowledge about UK politics? I do agree that knowing about UK politics is helpful (both for studying law and studying in the UK in general), but I'm not sure how much I need to know/ whether my views will affect my legal studies
Catherine1973
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
No not at all. I found it useful to know stuff but I am a mature student and already had an interest. I doubt most other first years did any political reading. Tons of my cohort were from Canada so even less uk knowledge there.
Anonymous #3
Report 2 months ago
Hi guys I’m a younger student looking to study law would you say theirs a lot of reading if you study law at university? I enjoy reading I don’t mind it I try to read as much as I can but I’ve heard theirs a lot of reading in university for law how do you guys feel about the reading amount?
Anonymous #1
No not at all. I found it useful to know stuff but I am a mature student and already had an interest. I doubt most other first years did any political reading. Tons of my cohort were from Canada so even less uk knowledge there.
I see. Thanks so much for your advice
Anonymous #2
Report 2 months ago
wow thanks so much for your tips!!

Do LSE students have forums where they discuss the above topics? I'm an international student so I only visit this forum for UK uni stuff haha
There's probably a FB group set up already, or a whatsapp. Usually people set them up from here.

When you get to LSE you will be in the majority, so don't worry
Anonymous #2
Report 2 months ago
Hi guys I’m a younger student looking to study law would you say theirs a lot of reading if you study law at university? I enjoy reading I don’t mind it I try to read as much as I can but I’ve heard theirs a lot of reading in university for law how do you guys feel about the reading amount?
There is probably 50 pages minimum of textbook, per module, per week, and there are 4 modules a year. That doesn't include cases/articles.

Some modules easily reach 200 pages per week.
Anonymous #4
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi guys! It's my first time posting here

Since my exams have just ended, I'm hoping to get the names of the textbooks that will be used in 1st year and try to read ahead a bit. Would greatly appreciate it if any current LSE law students/ people who've got the book list for 1st year LSE law students can help with this!

Any tips for first-year LSE students are also appreciated Thanks a lot!!
Im heading into first year this September too, although, as a mature student. Cant find LSE's reading list but here's Oxford & Cambridge's; https://www.law-books.co.uk/law-reading-lists
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (37)
28.68%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (11)
8.53%
No I am happy with my choice (72)
55.81%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (9)
6.98%

Watched Threads