username5701218
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
So I've come up with this title:

Is there evidence that endogenous factors have impacted sense of place in x?

But I'm struggling to think of sub questions/hypotheses for it. Ideally, I'd like it to be a mix of physical and human geography (maybe talking about trees/green spaces as well as businesses etc). Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance
Last edited by username5701218; 1 month ago
bananasarelife
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by starrynight12)
So I've come up with this title:
To what extent is there evidence that endogenous factors have impacted sense of place in (my home town)?

But I'm struggling to think of sub questions/hypotheses for it. Ideally, I'd like it to be a mix of physical and human geography (maybe talking about trees/green spaces as well as businesses etc). Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance
So my OCR geography board doesn't call it endogenous factors. Sorry if I'm wrong.

But I would go specific for the sub questions.
So, use one endogenous factor to base a question on for further depth.

For example, 'How does the physical geography affect people's perceptions of *your home town*?'

Or, 'How does the built environment create a sense of place in *your home town*?'

Or, 'How do the demographics of *your home town* affect the sense of place?'
Last edited by bananasarelife; 3 months ago
username5701218
Rep:
?
(Original post by bananasarelife)
So my OCR geography board doesn't call it endogenous factors. Sorry if I'm wrong.

But I would go specific for the sub questions.
So, use one endogenous factor to base a question on for further depth.

For example, 'How does the physical geography affect people's perceptions of *your home town*?'

Or, 'How does the built environment create a sense of place in *your home town*?'

Or, 'How do the demographics of *your home town* affect the sense of place?'
ohh ok thanks! yeah I do aqa but we're probably thinking of the same thing. I've now thought about doing exogenous factors instead (relationships with other places) bc my area is being regenerated atm. would these count as exogenous factors for sub questions: flows of people (students), flows of people (businesses), regeneration/investment of the area?
maybe I could rephrase the title to: to what extent is there evidence that exogenous factors impact residents' quality of life in ___?
Last edited by username5701218; 3 months ago
bananasarelife
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
ohh ok thanks! yeah I do aqa but we're probably thinking of the same thing. I've now thought about doing exogenous factors instead (relationships with other places) bc my area is being regenerated atm. would these count as exogenous factors for sub questions: flows of people (students), flows of people (businesses), regeneration/investment of the area?
maybe I could rephrase the title to: to what extent is there evidence that exogenous factors impact residents' quality of life in ___?
That sounds great but wouldn't it be hard to evaluate 'to what extent?' If i were you, I'd do, 'how do exogenous factors impact residents' quality of life in ___?'

but thats a great topic idea, because you can make a whole sub-question for flows of people and that includes talking about poorer residents who are unhappy with the change because the area is more accomodating to the richer people (so an interview would work for this)- however if there isn't an influx of richer people in your area, talk about how its more accomodating to younger people and how this annoys the older generations- so a worse quality of life.

then for flows of people with businesses, you could talk about the environment too because it would mean more buildings, which tend to make an area more urbanised. and if an area has less greenery, the quality of life is worse because greenery tends to improve the air quality and also makes people happier and gives them healthier lungs. (so an environmental quality survey works for this)

just a few ideas, lmk what you think
Last edited by bananasarelife; 3 months ago
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
wow this is really helpful thanks! I was worried that the sub questions might be too broad, but it just means more to write about ig. thank you so much, my teacher is refusing to tell us anything lol so we're just kinda left alone to do it.

so I've got two ideas, either:

the exogenous factors - flows of people (business), flows of people (students), regeneration/investment (ty for the ideas )

the endogenous factors (like you said)

which one do you think would be better to base it on?
up to you
bananasarelife
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
wow this is really helpful thanks! I was worried that the sub questions might be too broad, but it just means more to write about ig. thank you so much, my teacher is refusing to tell us anything lol so we're just kinda left alone to do it.

so I've got two ideas, either:

the exogenous factors - flows of people (business), flows of people (students), regeneration/investment (ty for the ideas )

the endogenous factors (like you said)

which one do you think would be better to base it on?
glad i'm of use!

sounds like a crap teacher, we had A LOT of support (I got 95 percent (A*) in the end )

but my project was based on endogenous factors because that is easier to do. But if you think you can collect some evidence of exogenous factors, then go for that. It all depends on your area and what's easiest.

would it be possible for you to just say 'geographical factors' and then include both exogenous and endogenoud factors or would that be too broad?
username5701218
Rep:
?
(Original post by bananasarelife)
glad i'm of use!

sounds like a crap teacher, we had A LOT of support (I got 95 percent (A*) in the end )

but my project was based on endogenous factors because that is easier to do. But if you think you can collect some evidence of exogenous factors, then go for that. It all depends on your area and what's easiest.

would it be possible for you to just say 'geographical factors' and then include both exogenous and endogenoud factors or would that be too broad?
I think it would be too broad, so I'll just focus on endogenous factors, thank you so much! I think my teachers just taking the whole 'independent' thing too seriously lol. but honestly thank you so much
bananasarelife
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I think it would be too broad, so I'll just focus on endogenous factors, thank you so much! I think my teachers just taking the whole 'independent' thing too seriously lol. but honestly thank you so much
that's a good idea. my advice is, do whats easiest. and when you do data presentation, make them really creative and make up your own if you can and also geolocating is always great. (for example, i geolocated some pie charts within my sites)

good luck!!
stay_cool
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
hey my investigation is similar to yours, what methods are you going to use for ur sub-questions? also have u done any background reading or whatever cuz i know that's helpful but idk what i would do.
username5701218
Rep:
?
(Original post by pri7632)
hey my investigation is similar to yours, what methods are you going to use for ur sub-questions? also have u done any background reading or whatever cuz i know that's helpful but idk what i would do.
I havent started the literature review yet, but I think it's mandatory? also, I'll probably use a lot of secondary data, but for primary data, I'll probably use things like interviews, questionnaires, EQI etc, and present the data on a map
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
3.51%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (8)
14.04%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (8)
14.04%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (6)
10.53%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (23)
40.35%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (10)
17.54%

Watched Threads