The Student Room Group

What are some lifestyle changes that save money?

What are some lifestyle changes that save money?
Do not do gambling.. They are simply not worth your time and money. You are just spending your precious time and hard earned money to make someone else rich.
Food habits... it’s a lot cheaper to cook all ur own meals
Reply 3
Try to buy things second hand. I love reading it’s one of my hobbies but books are expensive I found that buying books second hand but brand new condition was a cheap alternative.
Reply 4
Cut your own hair- I've been doing this for the past year and I am never going to need a barber ever again
Also there’s no need to get more expensive clothes (if they’re plain ie they don’t have the brand as the main design feature of the garment)...
eg m&s works for me when I want basic T-shirt’s and they’re good quality too :smile:
(female)
Switch to budget stores and discount brands whenever possible.
Keep an eye out for student discounts, bargains from charity shops, online sales, supermarket reduced food items nearing expiry and 'buy one get one free/half price' for items that you consume regularly.
Drink mostly tapwater and homemade coffee or tea.
Stop buying takeaway coffees, soft drink cans, packaged snacks and sandwiches.
Consider using flasks if you are in the habit of hot drinks and refillable bottles for cold drinks.
Try to prepare most of your meals at home.
Restrict takeaway meals to less than 5 times a month.
Original post by londonmyst
Switch to budget stores and discount brands whenever possible.
Keep an eye out for student discounts, bargains from charity shops, online sales, supermarket reduced food items nearing expiry and 'buy one get one free/half price' for items that you consume regularly.
Drink mostly tapwater and homemade coffee or tea.
Stop buying takeaway coffees, soft drink cans, packaged snacks and sandwiches.
Consider using flasks if you are in the habit of hot drinks and refillable bottles for cold drinks.
Try to prepare most of your meals at home.
Restrict takeaway meals to less than 5 times a month.

Having a take away 5 times a month is disgustingly unhealthy, you are averaging over one a week. :lolwut:
Original post by Ram Ranch
Having a take away 5 times a month is disgustingly unhealthy, you are averaging over one a week. :lolwut:

A takeaway meal once a week is fine for most healthy adults who go to work or uni, usually eat a balanced diet with reasonable portion sizes and do regular daily exercise.
Original post by rian2309
Try to buy things second hand. I love reading it’s one of my hobbies but books are expensive I found that buying books second hand but brand new condition was a cheap alternative.

i believe the library is cheaper my guy
A takeaway meal once a week is fine for most healthy adults who go to work or uni, usually eat a balanced diet with reasonable portion sizes and do regular daily exercise.

It's not simply about being fat, but considering carefully what you put inside your body. You would not fill a Lamborghini with supermarket fuel and if you value yourself higher than a car, then a takeaway is something you might choose to have if you are stuck out, but is totally unsuitable to be a part of your regular routine.

This. I don't know why more people dont use flasks if they're into coffee. You don't have to queue up and pay absurd prices and can have coffee at your own convenience. People seem to think it's a status symbol walking around with takeaway coffees.
Original post by tej3141
i believe the library is cheaper my guy

That’s if you don’t want to keep the book LOL I like to reread mine and to keep them 🤷🏽*♀️ each to their own.
Eat vegetarian - meat is expensive.

Cook from fresh ingredients, don't buy takeaways or mass produced pre-packed meals.

Buy books secondhand whenever possible.

Avoid buying new fashions, shop in charity shops.

Watch out for anything that requires a regular payment, eg, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. These things add up and eat away at your bank account.

Don't get a TV license, it's so simple to not have a TV. Lie when it comes to clicking the box on iplayer, everyone else does.

Keep an eye out for all offers on vital things like travel cards, food offers, etc.

Good luck! :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending