A Level Choices for studying Law

Watch this thread
CWinter703
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I've finished my GCSEs and I am reconsidering my a level choices for a law degree. I'm trying to aim as high as possible, Ox-bridge, and I was wondering if I should take English Literature in place of Politics or not.
My current A Level Choices:
Politics - No GCSE course in politics
Maths - 8 GCSE
Computer Science - 9 GCSE
Religious Studies and Philosophy - 9 GCSE

(With 9s in English Language and Literature)

Would it be worth swapping politics out for english literature as a choice?
Would Religious Studies and English Literature be too difficult to take together?
(It's worth noting that I am considering computer science as a career also - hence CS and Maths)
Thanks in advance
Last edited by CWinter703; 1 year ago
ConfusedDemon
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Well what would you like to do at Uni exactly?
X1LDN
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
University will only ever look at the first 3 grades you get for a level. A good combination of choices for law would encompass at least two facilitating subjects like, English, history, geography, etc.

Me personally, I’m aiming for Cambridge and I do History Geography and Economics.

Focus on the arts subjects and definitely do essay based subjects. History is probably the best a level to do for law as the skills you gain will build the foundations for the skills needed in law.

At the end of the day, you should do the subjects that you want to do and swapping either subject you’ve mentioned for one another wouldn’t do any harm. What would do some harm is dropping English Lit for BTEC Level 3 sport since you’re aiming for Oxbridge.

TL;DR - take 2 facilitating (academic) subjects. Do the subjects you’ll like. PM if you would like to talk more.
Last edited by X1LDN; 1 year ago
CWinter703
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by X1LDN)
University will only ever look at the first 3 grades you get for a level. A good combination of choices for law would encompass at least two facilitating subjects like, English, history, geography, etc.

Me personally, I’m aiming for Cambridge and I do History Geography and Economics.

Focus on the arts subjects and definitely do essay based subjects. History is probably the best a level to do for law as the skills you gain will build the foundations for the skills needed in geography.

At the end of the day, you should do the subjects that you want to do and swapping either subject you’ve mentioned for one another wouldn’t do any harm. What would do some harm is dropping English Lit for BTEC Level 3 sport since you’re aiming for Oxbridge.

TL;DR - take 2 facilitating (academic) subjects. Do the subjects you’ll like. PM if you would like to talk more.
Thank you for the helpful advice
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CWinter703)
I've finished my GCSEs and I am reconsidering my a level choices for a law degree. I'm trying to aim as high as possible, Ox-bridge, and I was wondering if I should take English Literature in place of Politics or not.
My current A Level Choices:
Politics - No GCSE course in politics
Maths - 8 GCSE
Computer Science - 9 GCSE
Religious Studies and Philosophy - 9 GCSE

(With 9s in English Language and Literature)

Would it be worth swapping politics out for english literature as a choice?
Would Religious Studies and English Literature be too difficult to take together?
(It's worth noting that I am considering computer science as a career also - hence CS and Maths)
Thanks in advance
Hey

So typically Universities require an essay subject, and these are usually recommended as History or English Literature.
Looking from afar doing English Literature may benefit you, although i would recommend contacting some Universities admissions teams, and they will advise further on what they typically accept/look for in potential applicants.
https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice...d-to-study-law

Hope this helps,
Sian- UoP Rep
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by X1LDN)

Focus on the arts subjects and definitely do essay based subjects. History is probably the best a level to do for law as the skills you gain will build the foundations for the skills needed in geography.

The concept of facilitating subjects was dropped a couple of years ago.

There is no need to focus on Arts subjects. At least one Cambridge college has told an applicant at interview that they like candidates to have studied Maths - they got a place having studied Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and French.

The OP's subjects sound fine.
X1LDN
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Compost)
The concept of facilitating subjects was dropped a couple of years ago.

There is no need to focus on Arts subjects. At least one Cambridge college has told an applicant at interview that they like candidates to have studied Maths - they got a place having studied Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and French.

The OP's subjects sound fine.
In that case, then I agree. At the end of the day do the subject you enjoy and just show the passion you have for it, it goes a long way!
Methusari
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Hi, I am also reconsidering my a-levels, my first choices were English lit, psychology and biology. I am leaning towards the idea of doing a law degree in the future probably not oxbridge but another Russel group. I don't really know why I chose those a levels and I'm now thinking about doing English lit, sociology and politics, I don't know if they would be more beneficial in the future, is it worth changing bc my first options don't really relate to law? Then again I'm not 100% on doing law. I know that sociology and politics are considered 'easy' a levels so would this affect my chances or ?

Also I did consider history but I didn't take it at GCSE, what is it that you learn from history that prepares you for a law degree?

Sorry this was a bit rambly, thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (25)
18.94%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (15)
11.36%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.58%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (34)
25.76%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
19.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise