What natural science courses am I eligible for?

Watch
Allmeliton
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I take Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Physics and Computer Science. I plan to study Natural Sciences at Cambridge but a lot of their options for the first year want 2 science subjects, not just one. Can further maths compensate for the other? I plan to take Physics, Materials and Earth Sciences
lordaxil
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
You should be fine with those subject options, provided you are willing to brush up on a little basic Chemistry (e.g. balancing reactions, mole calculations, electrochemistry) for Materials Science. Many Colleges will require an A* in Further Maths if you don't have 2 sciences.
Allmeliton
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by lordaxil)
You should be fine with those subject options, provided you are willing to brush up on a little basic Chemistry (e.g. balancing reactions, mole calculations, electrochemistry) for Materials Science. Many Colleges will require an A* in Further Maths if you don't have 2 sciences.
I see, I'm planning of doing Earth Sciences, Materials and Physics. I'm probably going to focus on Physics in the years after that.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, the Cambridge website says the entry requirements for Earth Sciences is 2 science A levels while the NatSci website says you need 2 science/math subjects. Which one do I listen to? I also got a 9 in GCSE geology, would that help me? Considering they say the course is designed for beginners.
lordaxil
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Allmeliton)
I see, I'm planning of doing Earth Sciences, Materials and Physics. I'm probably going to focus on Physics in the years after that.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, the Cambridge website says the entry requirements for Earth Sciences is 2 science A levels while the NatSci website says you need 2 science/math subjects. Which one do I listen to? I also got a 9 in GCSE geology, would that help me? Considering they say the course is designed for beginners.
That's fine - you can manage Earth Sciences without Chemistry A level.
Theloniouss
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Allmeliton)

Maths and FM are usually considered science subjects.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads