Access to health science professions

Watch this thread
pineapplehead10
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I'm wondering if anybody can please help. I'm due to start an access to higher education course ( ACCESS TO HEALTH SCIENCE PROFESSIONS ACCESS TO HE DIPLOMA ) in September 2021, im 28 so I've been out of education for a while, and I never did any alevels so I'm totally clueless.
I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on what I can study/read. Any exam papers ect, I know nothing about the course as I've had no information as of yet apart from it will include
Biology
Health education
Pyscology
Are the a level papers what I should be practicing or is it something else entirely? If so could you please help, Thank you for reading x
IfICanDream
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Hi there,

Well done for taking the leap back into education!
I am also 28, completed an Access Course, and off to start a biology degree this year for which I am incredibly excited about.
First of all I will not beat around the bush. The course itself is intense, hard work but incredibly rewarding.
You will get out what you put in.
I’m not entirely sure of what modules you will be doing within those courses but in terms of Biology it would be particularly helpful if you purchased AQA/CGP textbooks on A Level grade content. You can purchase 1st/2nd year content books or both years combined.
Biology is universal but a good starting point would be those books (content within for example is biological molecules, cell division (meiosis and mitosis), DNA and RNA, homeostasis etc.
Read widely, answer what the assessment question is asking you and apply your knowledge using breadth and depth.
Additionally, if you utilise your word count wisely, possibly add snippets of further reading you have found that captured your interest relatable to the content within the assignment… those will land you the top marks.
I would also recommend looking up referencing systems. Harvard for example.
It will pay well to adjust into a structured routine of referencing early on as you work though an assignment you have been set. This structure will save you a lot of time instead of leaving referencing until the end of an assignment.
Finally enjoy it and ask when you don’t understand a topic or aspect of.
Your teachers want you to succeed!
Good luck!
Alejo20tabares
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hey!!

I just finished my HE in Health Profession and they basically tough me everything, from how to reference to structure of assignments and it was very full of content. I did a “Fast Track” one and it was very intense but it was so much worth. I would recommend have a deep breath, try to have plenty of sleep when doing the course. I didn’t have exams it was pure assignments.

Good luck!!
Calibann
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Hello

I am about to start an Access to Health Science professions (Biology and Chem pathway)
or Allied Health Professions (option 1)

Is it all coursework based? I know that mine is but just wondered. I am more familar with Levels. Are you given an assignment per module to do within a timescale? Thanks for your help!!!
Last edited by Calibann; 8 months ago
theboakster
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
I'm about to start the same thing too!! We have a 'study skills' day tomorrow which I think they'll tell us more about the kind of work and reading we'll need to do. You probably have a similar thing? And then I imagine the first day of each unit (I'm doing psychology, human physiology and professional healthcare practice) they'll talk to us about specifics of books etc.
Calibann
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by theboakster)
I'm about to start the same thing too!! We have a 'study skills' day tomorrow which I think they'll tell us more about the kind of work and reading we'll need to do. You probably have a similar thing? And then I imagine the first day of each unit (I'm doing psychology, human physiology and professional healthcare practice) they'll talk to us about specifics of books etc.
Frick, mine is all online but I can imagine I will be filled in about a reading list etc. My particular course is all coursework based too, they explained they did have an exam but scrapped it due to COVID circumstances where a busy home would be a distraction etc.
My pathway is solely focused on Biology and Chem; so units filled with that sujbect. Good luck tomorrow!
Last edited by Calibann; 8 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (24)
18.75%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (14)
10.94%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
7.03%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
17.19%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (33)
25.78%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
20.31%

Watched Threads