Annotating in and note taking from textbooks - help!

Watch this thread
walkerR01
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m trying to find the most useful method of taking notes from a text book, here are some of the things I’ve tried.

- bullet points
- mind maps
- typing and printing
- annotating books

Currently, I’m annotating the books (highlighting and paraphrasing) and that is the best method I’ve tried so far. Only thing is, none of my notes are in the same place and I’m struggling to find things. Thinking of doing an active recall type spread on paper to collect key points, cases and evidence.

I get super stressed out if I feel like I’m missing information so the other things (bullet points, mind maps and typing) is basically me repeating the textbook. It takes ages and I end up with way to many notes which I still haven’t interpreted for myself. I think annotating the books stops me repeating exactly what is written on the page and helps me understand a little more.

Does anyone else do similar? (The books are mine to keep so no worries writing in them). Any study methods, advice or tips?

Smouncher
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
One thing that my teacher used to get us to do, was get us to make notes on a pretty reasonable sized sheet, then take the textbook away and make notes on the first sheet, on a smaller sheet, to condense it. And then take the first sheet away and take notes on the smaller sheet, with an even smaller sheet. Obviously you don’t need to actually cut out different sized sheets, but maybe try and limit it by number of lines on A4, and put all the final notes (the most condensed ones together and that’s what you need to remember.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
What subjects are you doing and at what level?

This will determine my advice
sjpdonnelly
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by walkerR01)
I’m trying to find the most useful method of taking notes from a text book, here are some of the things I’ve tried.

- bullet points
- mind maps
- typing and printing
- annotating books

Currently, I’m annotating the books (highlighting and paraphrasing) and that is the best method I’ve tried so far. Only thing is, none of my notes are in the same place and I’m struggling to find things. Thinking of doing an active recall type spread on paper to collect key points, cases and evidence.

I get super stressed out if I feel like I’m missing information so the other things (bullet points, mind maps and typing) is basically me repeating the textbook. It takes ages and I end up with way to many notes which I still haven’t interpreted for myself. I think annotating the books stops me repeating exactly what is written on the page and helps me understand a little more.

Does anyone else do similar? (The books are mine to keep so no worries writing in them). Any study methods, advice or tips?
If you do AQA Biology then these two resources will help. I use them with my students and also for my Year 10 daughter. AQA Chemistry and Physics can be downloaded for free from the website found at the top of the notes.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/r...ology-gcse-aqa
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/r...ology-gcse-aqa
Good Luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (187)
41.93%
The paper was reasonable (197)
44.17%
Not feeling great about that exam... (39)
8.74%
It was TERRIBLE (23)
5.16%

Watched Threads