What is the difference between nationality and citizenship

Watch
the redmandeer
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
As the title says, I have to submit a questionnaire and can't really tell the difference. I was born in the uk if that helps.
Vetofferholder1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
So nationality is where you are born so if you are born in Uk your nationality is British. The difference is citizenship is a legal status but nationality isn’t. You can be a citizen of many countries but you only have one nationality. For example you can have a nationality as British but have an Australian, Indian and American citizenship.
martin7
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by the redmandeer)
As the title says, I have to submit a questionnaire and can't really tell the difference. I was born in the uk if that helps.
In practice, I suspect most people regard "citizenship" and "nationality" as interchangeable terms that have the same meaning. Does this questionnaire ask about both citizenship and nationality? Or just one or the other?
martin7
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Wannabevet133)
So nationality is where you are born so if you are born in Uk your nationality is British. The difference is citizenship is a legal status but nationality isn’t. You can be a citizen of many countries but you only have one nationality. For example you can have a nationality as British but have an Australian, Indian and American citizenship.
I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like this.

gov.uk has a page on "Types of British nationality" (https://www.gov.uk/types-of-british-nationality) which outlines the six different types of British nationality -- only one of which (British citizenship) gives the right to live in the UK without being subject to immigration controls.

Simply being born in Britain isn't enough to make you British.
shonda1010
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
The nationality is an ethnic or racial concept. On the other hand, citizenship is a legal or juristic concept.
Vetofferholder1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by martin7)
I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like this.

gov.uk has a page on "Types of British nationality" (https://www.gov.uk/types-of-british-nationality) which outlines the six different types of British nationality -- only one of which (British citizenship) gives the right to live in the UK without being subject to immigration controls.

Simply being born in Britain isn't enough to make you British.
It makes you british by nationality not by citizenship. That’s why I stated citizenship is a legal thing. In the U.K. we don’t have birth right citizenship like the USA does. Being born in Britain does not give you the legal right to stay here or be a citizen here automatically but you are still British by nationality in the sense of the meaning of nationality.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (26)
5.68%
Uncertainty around my education (52)
11.35%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (55)
12.01%
Lack of purpose or motivation (61)
13.32%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (24)
5.24%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (20)
4.37%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (46)
10.04%
Financial worries (28)
6.11%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (19)
4.15%
Exposure to negative news/social media (30)
6.55%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (14)
3.06%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (45)
9.83%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (38)
8.3%

Watched Threads