halcyoninae
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi!
I have an offer to study a masters course starting in October and am in the process of doing my financial declaration to send to my college.
I know that I will be able to afford the course fees, through my savings, a contribution from my parents, and working full time until the start of the course.
I am stressed about the financial declaration because neither I nor my parents have ever used an accountant before and it says they only accept other evidence like bank statements under exceptional circumstances.
I’m going to apply for a graduate loan from SFE but that is dispensed across the year so I assume I can’t use it as evidence that I can pay fees which will need to be paid in the first week of term.
Does anyone have any advice/ experience in filling in a financial declaration while being not so wealthy?
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
They say you have to use an accountant? Really? Seems excessive, and that wasn't the case for me. Must have changed, I guess?

They can be quite strict about this so you might struggle to convince them if you haven't yet got the money. Is it possible your parents can prove they have the money in case you need it, even if you don't actually plan to take such a large contribution from them? Or that your parents can prove their income or some such?

Not sure what to suggest otherwise.
Glushko
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
In practice, and despite what the form states, colleges won't normally expect a statement from an accountant provided you can demonstrate you have access to sufficient funds to pay the fees for the first year of your course. It's not usually possible to use an SFE loan as proof of this as they aren't generally approved until after the financial declaration deadline has passed, so it's often a case of demonstrating you (or someone who confirms they are willing to support you) have sufficient savings to cover the fees upfront, even if you're actually banking on the SFE loan coming through and don't expect to have to rely on those savings.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (31)
29.25%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.43%
No I am happy with my choice (59)
55.66%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (6)
5.66%

Watched Threads