Hydrogen fluoride, chemistry

Watch this thread
Ohnourlp
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
does H-F form van der Waals forces and hydrogen bonding ? Is it polar? Is it all three? This was a true/false question I did but I'm unsure of my answer, I assumed it was true for all.
Jaegis
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ohnourlp)
does H-F form van der Waals forces and hydrogen bonding ? Is it polar? Is it all three? This was a true/false question I did but I'm unsure of my answer, I assumed it was true for all.
All three. All chemicals form van der waals forces, it's a very polar molecule - so strong dipole-dipole forces - and it does h-bonds because fluorine is the most electronegative element.
GCM42
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ohnourlp)
All covalent molecules can experience london forces (or instantaneous dipole-induce dipole interactions). The difference in electronegativity is greater than 0.4 so there are permanent dipole-permanent dipole interactions. nitrogen, oxygen, and fluorine bonded to hydrogen can all experience hydrogen bonding.

It experiences all 3
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (146)
66.67%
No (47)
21.46%
I didn't use it to prepare (26)
11.87%

Watched Threads