killamidge227
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I’ve got offers from queen Mary for economics and finance, and I have an offer from kings for economics and management. I have no idea what to pick

My thing is that I don’t want to be super competitive at university, in the sense that I don’t want to spend all of my time focusing on uni work. Hence why it’s not such an easy decision to just pick Kings as it’s ranked higher. I want to pick up a part time job and tuition throughout the week.

Any advice for me? I’m leaning just slightly more towards Queen Mary but I’d really appreciate everyone’s thoughts
ppapanastasiou
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Both good unis (both colleges of the University of London (UoL) and Russell group members) and both respectable courses. I would have a slight preference towards Kings because it has a better overall reputation. Other colleges of the UoL you might consider for economics are Royal Holloway, City and obviously LSE (although places there are super competitive).
username19412
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by killamidge227)
I’ve got offers from queen Mary for economics and finance, and I have an offer from kings for economics and management. I have no idea what to pick

My thing is that I don’t want to be super competitive at university, in the sense that I don’t want to spend all of my time focusing on uni work. Hence why it’s not such an easy decision to just pick Kings as it’s ranked higher. I want to pick up a part time job and tuition throughout the week.

Any advice for me? I’m leaning just slightly more towards Queen Mary but I’d really appreciate everyone’s thoughts
King's by far. Queens mary is only known for their law department which is highly ranked but that's about it. Every other course, not that highly respected and usually attracts lower candidates. KCL on the other hand, all their courses require top grades so everyone around you will be fairly academic and striving more for success if you like that. They have a fairly decent reputation in Economics (better than queen's) and their law department is one of the best in the country too.
Queen Mary Student Ambassadors
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by killamidge227)

Hey there killamidge227!

Whatever you choose is totally up to you! But, with respect to some of your concerns, I would definitely recommend taking Queen Mary into careful consideration!

If you don't want a super competitive university experience, QMUL is a good option! Whilst it's a highly-ranked Russel Group University, it's also incredibly chill - students on campus are super involved and proactive, but the campus vibe is really friendly and vibrant overall! We're also the only Russel Group university in London with a campus, meaning it's super easy to get around, meet new people, get involved, and makes for a great social environment!

The university also offers a lot of great careers schemes and the SU posts jobs throughout the year. The fact everything is in one place and the fact that there are loads of opportunities on campus available means handling a part-time job is extremely easy. The career department is also excellent and can help you find employment near campus or further afield is necessary. We're also a tube stop away from Westfield Stratford and I know quite a few Queen Mary students have part-time work there!

Hope this helps with your decision!

Matthew

QMUL Student Ambassador and TSR Representative
ppapanastasiou
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I agree that Queen Mary is a good choice for economics and finance. Another good option is City, University of London. City, similar to QM is a constituent college of the university of London and has a good reputation in economics and especially finance through it business school (Bayes Business School).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (7)
5.93%
Uncertainty around my education (13)
11.02%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (12)
10.17%
Lack of purpose or motivation (18)
15.25%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (7)
5.93%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (5)
4.24%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (10)
8.47%
Financial worries (6)
5.08%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (2)
1.69%
Exposure to negative news/social media (11)
9.32%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (4)
3.39%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (13)
11.02%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (10)
8.47%

Watched Threads