ForeverFailing11
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Started AO route in January 21 been told my portfolio is fine and all okay. Had my final observation 2 weeks after Easter. It wasn't a great lesson and I happily agreed with the recommendations made, but was told I would be recomended for QTS. A week later my AO assessor asked to return and complete another lesson observation to review my progress. He came this week and in hindsight I should have postponed it. Suffering with loosing my voice and a raging temprature (not covid - was tested piror to going to school) but I went ahead of it and I thought my lesson was a huge improvement to the previous one in the areas highlighted as concerns previously. Unfortunately my assessor disagreed with me and ultimately said the lesson observed this time round had no value and the learners absent wouldn't have actually missed anything in the long run. He also pointed out learners still tried to shout out answers and he felt that I still wasn't in control of my class. Ultimately my assessor has now said he cannot recomend me for QTS. So feel utterly devastated about it and regret going ahead with the observation whilst being unwell and currently feeling like a complete failure. Sorry just needed to rant.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ForeverFailing11)
Started AO route in January 21 been told my portfolio is fine and all okay. Had my final observation 2 weeks after Easter. It wasn't a great lesson and I happily agreed with the recommendations made, but was told I would be recomended for QTS. A week later my AO assessor asked to return and complete another lesson observation to review my progress. He came this week and in hindsight I should have postponed it. Suffering with loosing my voice and a raging temprature (not covid - was tested piror to going to school) but I went ahead of it and I thought my lesson was a huge improvement to the previous one in the areas highlighted as concerns previously. Unfortunately my assessor disagreed with me and ultimately said the lesson observed this time round had no value and the learners absent wouldn't have actually missed anything in the long run. He also pointed out learners still tried to shout out answers and he felt that I still wasn't in control of my class. Ultimately my assessor has now said he cannot recomend me for QTS. So feel utterly devastated about it and regret going ahead with the observation whilst being unwell and currently feeling like a complete failure. Sorry just needed to rant.
This must have been a very tough time to try to attempt the Assessment Only route.

To decide not to recommend you for QTS on the basis of one observation feels very unfair. What happens next? Will he give you time to improve and then another observation?

Is there anyone else involved in your assessment you can talk to?

But you're not a failure, and this all seems a bit odd...
ForeverFailing11
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
This must have been a very tough time to try to attempt the Assessment Only route.

To decide not to recommend you for QTS on the basis of one observation feels very unfair. What happens next? Will he give you time to improve and then another observation?

Is there anyone else involved in your assessment you can talk to.
But you're not a failure, and this all seems a bit odd...
This was the second time my external assessor had observed me. The first time he observed me there some adjustments noted that I'd needed to work on but on the whole was told I would be recommended. Hence the second observation, which I thought went 1000 times better than the first but I was working with no voice! I went home at lunchtime becuase I felt so unwell.

The assessor said something about trying to come vack in a month's time to see if I have made suitable improvement but then the issues around the 12 week deadline was raised and currently do not know where I stand as my ITT co ordinator at work hasn't spoken to me about it yet. Praying I have a voice and can go back to work on Monday to try and fibd out the next steps.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
This was the second time my external assessor had observed me. The first time he observed me there some adjustments noted that I'd needed to work on but on the whole was told I would be recommended. Hence the second observation, which I thought went 1000 times better than the first but I was working with no voice! I went home at lunchtime becuase I felt so unwell.

The assessor said something about trying to come vack in a month's time to see if I have made suitable improvement but then the issues around the 12 week deadline was raised and currently do not know where I stand as my ITT co ordinator at work hasn't spoken to me about it yet. Praying I have a voice and can go back to work on Monday to try and fibd out the next steps.
Hopefully you're able to fit in another observation, or they can just extend your assessment period. Don't go in if you're ill, but maybe email your ITT co-ordinator.

I hope you're able to find a solution to this. Are you in a union?
ForeverFailing11
Rep:
?
Hopefully you're able to fit in another observation, or they can just extend your assessment period. Don't go in if you're ill, but maybe email your ITT co-ordinator.

I hope you're able to find a solution to this. Are you in a union?
Thanks no I won't make that mistake again! I am hoping we can fit in another official observation as well.

I will speak to my ITT coordinator when I go in next week. Yes I am with NEU, which was the one recommended by school when I joined as we have a rep in school.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thanks no I won't make that mistake again! I am hoping we can fit in another official observation as well.

I will speak to my ITT coordinator when I go in next week. Yes I am with NEU, which was the one recommended by school when I joined as we have a rep in school.
If it comes to it, it may be worth discussing the situation with your union. You shouldn't be prevented from QTS due to one poor observation.
ForeverFailing11
Rep:
?
If it comes to it, it may be worth discussing the situation with your union. You shouldn't be prevented from QTS due to one poor observation.
Thank you.

I will speak to the ITT coordinator on Monday and then if needed approach my union as well.

Thank you for your support.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thank you.

I will speak to the ITT coordinator on Monday and then if needed approach my union as well.

Thank you for your support.
Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
5.71%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
20%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
11.43%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
8.57%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (11)
31.43%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (8)
22.86%

Watched Threads