The Student Room Group

Questions for Past/Current Apprentices:What is it that you wish you had known or did?

This is a question for past or current apprentices.

Is there anything that you wish you had known or did before you started your apprenticeship?

Is there anything that you wish you had known or did when you started your apprenticeship?

Is there anything you wish you had bought before you started your apprenticeship?

Is there anything you wish you did at the beginning of your apprenticeship that could have made your studying or End-Point Assessment easier?

Is there anything you wish you had brought with you on your first day?

Please feel free to share if you have answers to any of the questions above, even if it's a short answer! It could help us new apprentices out and would be interesting to hear your experiences:hello::smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
As an insight, I’ll just list some things I wish I did better at the start of my career:
I could have felt more comfortable being a learner by being prepared to take criticism constructively instead of personally. Seeing all your colleagues as potential teachers and considering them as beneficial to your development makes life so much easier.
Of course, some people give criticism better than others, but taking it personally doesn’t help you improve in their (often more experienced) eyes. Sometimes it may be harsh, but there’s always something useful to action for your development within the criticism somewhere.

Another thing, is that I wish I had set up weekly catch up meetings with my supervisor to gauge how I was doing. This would have allowed someone to help steer me in the right direction, instead of gradually steering off course and requiring more immediate intervention.
Goal setting, whether it be short or long term, is really useful, especially if your goals are in part aimed at achieving your EPA competencies.
Reflecting on the what you’ve done and how you did it (what’s and how’s) of your work can help you focus on your continuous improvement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending