The Student Room Group

Choosing UK university

I got offer letter from university of Surrey for Msc Data Science and University Leicester for Data Analytics for business intellgence respectively .I am not able to figure out which university to choose in terms of study quality,campus life and future job prospects.Any help would be appreciated!
Original post by Himu1503
I got offer letter from university of Surrey for Msc Data Science and University Leicester for Data Analytics for business intellgence respectively .I am not able to figure out which university to choose in terms of study quality,campus life and future job prospects.Any help would be appreciated!

Hi Himu,

It's great to hear you have received an offer from Surrey! Congratulations :smile: I am a second year student studying Psychology. I can try and help you out in terms of what Surrey is like and my experience there. I'll break it down into headings.

Student Life: Firstly, I have found student life to be very welcoming from the moment I moved onto campus! Everyone I came across was very friendly and helped me whenever I needed help (students included). On campus, there is places you can study or just chill in such as The Nest or The Hive and the Library. Furthermore, there is many food outlets on campus such as a mini supermarket to be able to quickly get any essentials or to buy lunch. There is also a Starbucks and other food outlets such as Wates House and Hillside. Every week there is also a fresh fruit and veg market so you can get these at your door step without going to Tesco. There is a nightclub on campus called Rubix which is always putting on great events each week. With COVID Rubix has been put on hold, however hopefully it will make a return soon! The town centre night life is quieter compared to other unis however is still a good fun enviroment. As well as this, there is also so many societies and club you can join, this will help you to make more friends at university too Here is a link to see the full list of clubs and societies we have at Surrey - https://www.ussu.co.uk/getinvolved/clubs

Location: The University is about a 20 minute walk from Guildford town centre and 10 minute bus journey which has a variety of shops and many restaurants! My favourites are Positano and La Casita, so if you end up in Surrey make sure to check these out What I loved about Surrey is that the Uni isn't far from London. It is about a 34 minute train journey making trips to London quick and efficient. There is also a big Tesco that is about a 3-5 minute bus journey or 10 minute walk so it is easy to pick up your shopping for the week.

Standard of Teaching & Support: In the Psychology department, the department has always maintained a high standard. I feel as though I am really benefitting from the teaching here and learning new things. The lecturers have always been quick in helping me. They also have contact hours which you can attend and ask them any questions you may have. Although this is in the psychology department, I am sure the support and teaching in your department would be just the same!! For other support around the uni, there is a health and wellbeing centre which can help with any needs such as sexual health, mental health or any queries you may have. There is also a Career service team that can help with CVs and cover letters and even interviews. These will be good to go to when you need help with anything to do with future jobs, applying to jobs, top tips on assessment centres etc.

Is there anything else you'd like to know about Surrey? I am here to help and answer anything you'd like me to :smile:

Becca
Original post by Himu1503

Do your own due diligence, but I would personally avoid Leicester right now:

https://www2.uculeicester.org.uk/pure-maths-external-examiner-resignation/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending