lizloe
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hey,

So here's the thing... I'm in the process of choosing my A-levels. I had already decided what I wanted to do:
Spanish
Art
English Lit

But then I realised I wanted to take a 4th A-level. And figured I would choose Biology. Later i realised I really liked Chemistry, but soon as the school I want to go has "columns" of each subject, and only one from each column can be picked, I would have to choose between chemistry and English Lit.

I did email the school to see if I can pick both from the column, and they haven't got back to me yet, but I will most likely have to pick Biology since it's in a separate column.

Now the problem I face, is realising I enjoy both chemistry and biology and not really English Lit.
If you are asking, "Why are you picking English Lit then?", well in Uni I plan on doing Languages, like Spanish and _____ (another language).
Hence i looked into it and there's going to be a lot of Spanish Literature and essay writing (probably a lot of reading too) and i thought English Lit would support me.
But realistically I don't enjoy English Lit that much, and if I did end up wanting to do Science in Uni, as a backup, I would NEED 2 sciences.

So I'm stuck between choosing:
Art
Spanish
Chemistry
Biology

or
Art
Spanish
English Lit
Biology/Chemistry

I know it's my own decision at the end of the day but if anyone has any opinions, please do let me know.
Debs25
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Do the subjects you enjoy otherwise you'll be miserable. You don't need English Lit to read languages at degree level. It is useful, but as long as you enjoy reading for pleasure and can analyse what you've read, that will be enough.
lizloe
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Debs25)
Do the subjects you enjoy otherwise you'll be miserable. You don't need English Lit to read languages at degree level. It is useful, but as long as you enjoy reading for pleasure and can analyse what you've read, that will be enough.
Thank you. I'm pretty sure I'm going to pick the two sciences, I reckon it will keep my options open for Uni and I enjoy it more than English Literature. But I am just slightly hesitant due to thinking that English lit would help me be prepared for Spanish in Uni, in terms of writing essays (being used to that from Engish lit A-level) and also reading quite a lot and analysing.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lizloe)
Hey,

So here's the thing... I'm in the process of choosing my A-levels. I had already decided what I wanted to do:
Spanish
Art
English Lit

But then I realised I wanted to take a 4th A-level. And figured I would choose Biology. Later i realised I really liked Chemistry, but soon as the school I want to go has "columns" of each subject, and only one from each column can be picked, I would have to choose between chemistry and English Lit.

I did email the school to see if I can pick both from the column, and they haven't got back to me yet, but I will most likely have to pick Biology since it's in a separate column.

Now the problem I face, is realising I enjoy both chemistry and biology and not really English Lit.
If you are asking, "Why are you picking English Lit then?", well in Uni I plan on doing Languages, like Spanish and _____ (another language).
Hence i looked into it and there's going to be a lot of Spanish Literature and essay writing (probably a lot of reading too) and i thought English Lit would support me.
But realistically I don't enjoy English Lit that much, and if I did end up wanting to do Science in Uni, as a backup, I would NEED 2 sciences.

So I'm stuck between choosing:
Art
Spanish
Chemistry
Biology

or
Art
Spanish
English Lit
Biology/Chemistry

I know it's my own decision at the end of the day but if anyone has any opinions, please do let me know.
Hey

Although as you say English Lit may be useful for a languages degree, I don't think it's essential (depending on the University you pick).
I did English Literature for one of my A-Levels, and it is extremely heavily content based as you would imagine. It is also very very different from GCSE English Lit, in that the standard of analysis and level of texts is so much higher, as well as having a completely different marking criteria.

I found it a lot harder, but it was doable. Four subjects will be quite tough for some people I imagine but i'm sure you know whats best for you As you said, it is your decision so make sure you go with what you will enjoy the most

If you have any other questions let me know!
Sian- UoP Rep
lizloe
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello, thank you for your reply.

And would you say that studying English Lit was worth it? As in did it help you in University (of course it depends on the course) but personally would you say that you found it helpful and useful?

Thanks,
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (14)
5.98%
Uncertainty around my education (26)
11.11%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (27)
11.54%
Lack of purpose or motivation (35)
14.96%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (14)
5.98%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (7)
2.99%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (21)
8.97%
Financial worries (15)
6.41%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (7)
2.99%
Exposure to negative news/social media (16)
6.84%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
2.56%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (29)
12.39%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (17)
7.26%

Watched Threads