improving English

Watch this thread
username5574930
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
hiya I just sat my English literature AS drama paper and found it very difficult - I was hugely time pressured, and barely made it halfway through the essay. I did prepare essay plans however the predicted title did not come up. although I had very good background knowledge of the play, I couldn't put it into words and panicked - does anyone have any tips I could use in order to improve...do you think writing an essay a day/every other day would help me or would it be an ineffective way to go about this? Thank you
Jaegis
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
writing more essays for practice is probably a good idea - try setting yourself maybe two hours (or however long you think it would take you to write the full essay), then reduce the time you give yourself by five, ten, fifteen minutes each time until you're writing them quick enough. find questions from past papers or ask your teachers to give you some question examples. make sure you do it under exam conditions, that should help get you used to what it's like and help you not panic during the real thing. try seeing if your teachers can mark some of the essays, too, to get good feedback.

also, i would be careful not to rely on pre-prepared essays, tbh. i've read some of the examiners' reports, and almost all of them mention that obviously pre-prepared essay content don't do so well. otherwise you try to make the question fit the essay, rather than the other way around. definitely have a rough idea of some main themes, but don't just regurgitate a fixed framework.
ErrorNotFound
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Rather than pre-prepared essays writing plans for variety of essays would be better. Try thinking of your own questions and practice that. And obviously keep practising writing essay within the time would be helpful to tackle the panicking issue.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (132)
66.33%
No (45)
22.61%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.06%

Watched Threads