The Student Room Group

King's or Trinity?

I'm planning to do Natural Sciences and apply for 2022 entry. I'm currently doing Maths, Physics, Further Maths and Computing for A level and I can't decide between these 2 colleges. Are there anything I need to know about these 2 colleges that can help me decide which one to go for?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Allmeliton
I'm planning to do Natural Sciences and apply for 2022 entry. I'm currently doing Maths, Physics, Further Maths and Computing for A level and I can't decide between these 2 colleges. Are there anything I need to know about these 2 colleges that can help me decide which one to go for?

They're both great colleges but trinity is known to be slightly more academic in terms of individuals getting higher grades, but you're really splitting between hairs at this point because it's Cambridge and no one can get in below A*AA. Also, trinity is slightly more competitive than King's and people say trinity hosts more events.
Reply 2
Original post by username19412
They're both great colleges but trinity is known to be slightly more academic in terms of individuals getting higher grades, but you're really splitting between hairs at this point because it's Cambridge and no one can get in below A*AA. Also, trinity is slightly more competitive than King's and people say trinity hosts more events.

Thanks for the advice. They are quite similar, but based on your comments, I might try Trinity then
Reply 3
Slightly less likely to be pooled if you apply to King's
Reply 4
Original post by Sinnoh
Slightly less likely to be pooled if you apply to King's

Haha, that's true. Just checked and found out Trinity is like second most popular uni for NatSci while King's is like 7th. I just don't want to decide on which college to go to based on my chances of getting into that college or anything. Kinda takes the fun out of picking the college in my opinion.
Reply 5
Haha, that's true. Just checked and found out Trinity is like second most popular uni for NatSci while King's is like 7th. I just don't want to decide on which college to go to based on my chances of getting into that college or anything. Kinda takes the fun out of picking the college in my opinion.

You've got to also consider that Trinity might accept more students for that course, so that means there could be more applicants there.

Definitely don't do that - it's really silly to try and "game" the admissions system in that way because it fails to consider the full admissions picture (the Winter Pool for eg). You're right to choose based on other factors.

Trinity is more traditional, much richer (this means more money for academic prizes, bursaries, scholarships, travel grants, nicer rooms etc for you; but also for societies, events, and dinners), more STEM-focussed (there are lots of mathmos - Trinity students studying other subjects can sometimes feel a bit like second class citizens), and more academic (it's an extremely stressful environment in exam term, but they do get results - up to you whether this is a trade-off you want to make but imo it's an unhealthy and highly toxic culture to study in).

King's is still traditional, shabbier (accommodation is much worse than at Trinity), more touristy, less STEM-focussed, more political (this can be a good/bad thing depending on how noisy you want your student body to be - Trinity is more of a degree-focussed college), less academic (and therefore less stressful), and less rich.

Personally neither of them are my cup of tea. But if a college with maximum name recognition is what you want then these are the obvious choices.
Reply 7
Original post by Parliament
Definitely don't do that - it's really silly to try and "game" the admissions system in that way because it fails to consider the full admissions picture (the Winter Pool for eg). You're right to choose based on other factors.

Trinity is more traditional, much richer (this means more money for academic prizes, bursaries, scholarships, travel grants, nicer rooms etc for you; but also for societies, events, and dinners), more STEM-focussed (there are lots of mathmos - Trinity students studying other subjects can sometimes feel a bit like second class citizens), and more academic (it's an extremely stressful environment in exam term, but they do get results - up to you whether this is a trade-off you want to make but imo it's an unhealthy and highly toxic culture to study in).

King's is still traditional, shabbier (accommodation is much worse than at Trinity), more touristy, less STEM-focussed, more political (this can be a good/bad thing depending on how noisy you want your student body to be - Trinity is more of a degree-focussed college), less academic (and therefore less stressful), and less rich.

Personally neither of them are my cup of tea. But if a college with maximum name recognition is what you want then these are the obvious choices.

Oh thanks, seems like Trinity is a really nice option. I'm going to keep my eyes open until October but thanks for the advice
What things are important to you in a college?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending