Do I need Nat5 Maths to study English at Uni? (SQA)

Watch this thread
DawnWings
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello. I've been looking at Universities because I like to plan ahead. I'm only at Nat5 but I'm worried about a few things.

Maths has never been a strong subject for me. I've completed my Nat5 Maths assesment/exam. I'm a bit worried I'm going to fail due to not doing too great on my other math tests.

I'm interested in studying English one day. I'm taking mostly English and Social Subjects. Do most universities require Nat5 maths, even for an English course? Would I have to resit it? I'm planning on retaking it in S6 if I have to, is this a bad idea?
BlackLab
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Email this admissions for the uni and department/courses you are interested in and ask if not having maths will be view negatively. They are usually very helpful.
cchloepx
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Some unis ask for it, some don’t.
It’s generally not required unless you want to go into teaching.

For me, the only uni that wanted nat5 maths from me (applied for Italian and German) was St Andrews. They had a little list where you needed a B at nat5 which was mostly STEM subjects. I didn’t do any sciences and only had Nat5 maths so that’s the only thing it was useful for for me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (216)
42.52%
The paper was reasonable (219)
43.11%
Not feeling great about that exam... (46)
9.06%
It was TERRIBLE (27)
5.31%

Watched Threads