The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

MORSE - Any Chance?

I've applied for MORSE at Warwick, and i've sent off my ucas and everything, so i do realise i should have maybe asked about this earlier, but im really worried now that i've made a mistake after hearing about the amount of people with Further Mathematics or STEP papers. Am i likley to get an offer at all without any of these?

Heres my Predicted Grades:

Maths - A
Economics - A
Bioligy - A

GCSE's:

5 A*'s
5 A's

I can still ask for my UCAS back as ive only sent it to my college UCAS referee. Is it worth me doing this, or should i hang on?
You don't need STEP or further maths for MORSE, according to the website. Your grades are good enough, as long as you've got a good personal statement.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Pork and Beans
You don't need STEP or further maths for MORSE, according to the website. Your grades are good enough, as long as you've got a good personal statement.

Yeh i know it doesn't say officially that i need them, but most other people will, so they would probably choose them... i think.

Any advice?
Reply 3
nugiboy
I've applied for MORSE at Warwick, and i've sent off my ucas and everything, so i do realise i should have maybe asked about this earlier, but im really worried now that i've made a mistake after hearing about the amount of people with Further Mathematics or STEP papers. Am i likley to get an offer at all without any of these?

You technically don't need to have done further maths to study MORSE, however in reality, most people have. Do you not have an option to take it to just AS level? That would boost your chances, and mean you would get a lower offer overall.

The department gives out a standard offer. This changes year to year, so you should probably email and ask them what it will be for this year. Without further maths you would probably be looking at AAAa (ie 3A's at A2 and 1 A at AS) although you are only taking 3 right? If so, AAB plus either a merit in AEA or 2 in STEPI/II/III (most likely I for you). So in answer to your question, you can get an offer without further maths, but you need to be prepared to do either STEP or an AEA to make an offer.

nugiboy
I can still ask for my UCAS back as ive only sent it to my college UCAS referee. Is it worth me doing this, or should i hang on?

If its still with your referee then yes, you can get it sent back to you. If you consider taking an AEA or STEP, or even an AS in F Maths you should put that on your UCAS form.

Hope that helps a bit. Ill answer anything else you want to know if I can :smile:
Reply 4
I'm a MORSE 2nd year, and I would heavily recommend doing AS Further Maths this year. If you do Edexcel, doing inequalities in FP1 will help (although to be fair, its not hard and its not interesting), and take stats modules, cos there's so much overlap into some of the course's modules. Also decision maths may come in handy.

Latest