I don’t know what to do- retaking year 12

Watch this thread
chickennuggets04
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I’m a 17 year old, year 12 student doing psychology, chemistry, BTEC applied science and BTEC medical science. I was a victim of the first teacher assessment grade system in 2020. my GCSE’s are( i know they are not great):
combined science 6/5
english language 7
literature 8
maths 5
art 8
history 4
music 5
spanish 4
religious studies 7
(I was meant to take a turkish GCSE exam as I’m fluent at it I was guaranteed a 9 but due to covid I couldn’t take the exam)
To be honest I didn’t really revise until my mocks which were done early in my school. I wanted to pursue medicine but with these results it seemed impossible and my family was disappointed. I gave up on medicine as I couldn’t do Chemistry and Biology A levels in my sixth form with these results but my parents insisted to do something about it/ resit them but I wasn’t ready at all as I didn’t revise during lockdown. I then found out that i could do online a level courses and I’m now doing Chemistry A level with oxbridge home learning provider but it is a fast track course so I did it in less than a year due to early TAG grades. I did fast track course because I thought I could do chemistry one year and biology the next year whilst doing my other subjects in sixth form. It was tough as I was self teaching chemistry. I did 9 assignments in total for TAG in chemistry this year and I got 3 A* 2 A 2 D and 2 E. My tutor said that she submitted all of them to the exam board so I can’t really predict what I will get but I assume B or C which isn’t good enough to get into medicine. I haven’t told this to my parents yet as I don’t want to disappoint them again. My question is, do I resit my GCSE maths and science this autumn series which is in november( i can’t in summer due to covid) and retake year 12 to do biology chemistry and psychology a levels next year and start fresh. However this would mean that I will have a 2 year loss. Is it worth it? or shall i keep doing my btec level 3 applied science and do a foundation year medicine but that would narrow my options. Has anyone else retook year 12 and if so how do you/did you cope with it? and will I have a chance of getting into medicine if I applied to medical school strategically that doesn’t really mind GCSE results?
Last edited by chickennuggets04; 11 months ago
chickennuggets04
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
and also even if i do decide to retake year 12 that would mean I don’t have to apply to any Universities this year right?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.18%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.94%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.88%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
17.65%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.35%

Watched Threads