The Student Room Group

Prestige of a firm vs benefits

How important is the reputation of an accountancy firm compared to other factors like culture, work-life balance, perks, etc?
What I'm asking is are big 4 (specifically Deloitte) trained audit apprentices looked upon more favourably than qualified ACA accountants from medium sized firms (specifically Cooper Parry), or is the prestige of the firm not so important in comparison to the individual? Are ACA qualified accountants seen as roughly equal or does where you train make a difference for future prospects (in the same way that a Russell group would compared to an ex-poly)?
Another draw to Cooper Parry over Deloitte is the fact they are offering more project work alongside audit which I think would give more variety and opportunity to branch out later on.
Any insight would be much appreciated!
(edited 2 years ago)
Brand name early on in the career I would deem better, especially in audit and the perks, pay etc all probably better in big 4. Note that I am still a university student, so take that into account.
Reply 2
Benefits are neither here nor there as a new starter. Take the prestige and the doors it opens for exit ops post-qualification. Also, big papa D will sponsor you for ACA. This is no contest. Big papa D.
Reply 3
What do you mean project work alongside audit? If you mean you working in other business areas Deloitte have a secondment programme which is quite flexible
Original post by thrwawy
What do you mean project work alongside audit? If you mean you working in other business areas Deloitte have a secondment programme which is quite flexible

I'd be in the 'big business' team which does project work to add value to clients' businesses instead of just auditing them. Was thinking it might be a bit more variety and set me up better for a future move into consultancy etc as I can't see myself in audit long-term
Original post by SkanPad
Benefits are neither here nor there as a new starter. Take the prestige and the doors it opens for exit ops post-qualification. Also, big papa D will sponsor you for ACA. This is no contest. Big papa D.

Seems like you have a bit of a thing for 'papa D', do you have any experience of working there may I ask? (Also both firms pay for the ACA and I believe Deloitte are harsher about exam failures)
Reply 6
Original post by scorpionfish11
I'd be in the 'big business' team which does project work to add value to clients' businesses instead of just auditing them. Was thinking it might be a bit more variety and set me up better for a future move into consultancy etc as I can't see myself in audit long-term

I’d probably try and get a better understanding of what that actually is, make sure it’s not just something to draw you into the scheme. But besides I would still be inclined to opt for Deloitte
Original post by thrwawy
I’d probably try and get a better understanding of what that actually is, make sure it’s not just something to draw you into the scheme. But besides I would still be inclined to opt for Deloitte

I'm visiting the offices next week so will be sure to find out more. I was always set on the big 4 but something about the culture of CP just seems really appealing, plus it's a shorter commute
Reply 8
I would try and avoid Cooper Parry. I've heard there's a lot of favouritism and bullying from upper management and it's expected to put in an additional 20-30 hours a week (including weekends) unpaid overtime while those same managers finish early each day - a lot different to the flexible and cheerful working environment they sell themselves as. A few of my friends who have worked there have left recently for those reasons. Definitely try your luck elsewhere!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by gerhma
I would try and avoid Cooper Parry. I've heard there's a lot of favouritism and bullying from upper management and it's expected to put in an additional 20-30 hours a week (including weekends) unpaid overtime while those same managers finish early each day - a lot different to the flexible and cheerful working environment they sell themselves as. A few of my friends who have worked there have left recently for those reasons. Definitely try your luck elsewhere!

I did wonder if their whole culture and how they sell themselves might be too good to be true. Are your friends on Linkedin or anything? Would you mind PMing me their details? Would be really useful to ask them a few questions about their experiences etc. Thanks
How important is the reputation of an accountancy firm compared to other factors like culture, work-life balance, perks, etc?
What I'm asking is are big 4 (specifically Deloitte) trained audit apprentices looked upon more favourably than qualified ACA accountants from medium sized firms (specifically Cooper Parry), or is the prestige of the firm not so important in comparison to the individual? Are ACA qualified accountants seen as roughly equal or does where you train make a difference for future prospects (in the same way that a Russell group would compared to an ex-poly)?
Another draw to Cooper Parry over Deloitte is the fact they are offering more project work alongside audit which I think would give more variety and opportunity to branch out later on.
Any insight would be much appreciated!

I'm going to work on the assumption that you want to make a lot of cash out of this accountancy gig and either work in the City or eventually become a CFO of a FTSE 350 company or higher after you qualify....

In which case, firm matters more than anything else because Experience > Qualification. Whether you emerge from the Big 4 as a CA, ACA, an ACCA or even an ACMA or CPFA (it used to be possible to get these from certain graduate roles, I'm not sure if it is now!) then - all other things being equal - you will be a stronger candidate than someone with ACA from Cooper Parry (all other things are never equal though so I guess if the ACA from Cooper Parry speaks a few languages, can program in Python and has amazing social skills deployed with lethal effect in an interview then where they trained probably won't matter so much!)

However, if you want to make your long term career as fruitful as possible, Big 4 will help a lot more than whatever pay and benefits smaller firms offer in the short term (they won't be worth it in the long term). Remember on top of everything else if you are working in the Big 4 you will be exposed to massive clients, the kind that you will want to work for later on to earn the big bucks. If you work for Cooper Parry, you'll work for smaller clients and get a different experience. Nothing wrong with it, still a good career, but you'll have to make up for a lack of FTSE 100 type exposure somehow.
Original post by AW_1983
I'm going to work on the assumption that you want to make a lot of cash out of this accountancy gig and either work in the City or eventually become a CFO of a FTSE 350 company or higher after you qualify....

In which case, firm matters more than anything else because Experience > Qualification. Whether you emerge from the Big 4 as a CA, ACA, an ACCA or even an ACMA or CPFA (it used to be possible to get these from certain graduate roles, I'm not sure if it is now!) then - all other things being equal - you will be a stronger candidate than someone with ACA from Cooper Parry (all other things are never equal though so I guess if the ACA from Cooper Parry speaks a few languages, can program in Python and has amazing social skills deployed with lethal effect in an interview then where they trained probably won't matter so much!)

However, if you want to make your long term career as fruitful as possible, Big 4 will help a lot more than whatever pay and benefits smaller firms offer in the short term (they won't be worth it in the long term). Remember on top of everything else if you are working in the Big 4 you will be exposed to massive clients, the kind that you will want to work for later on to earn the big bucks. If you work for Cooper Parry, you'll work for smaller clients and get a different experience. Nothing wrong with it, still a good career, but you'll have to make up for a lack of FTSE 100 type exposure somehow.

Thanks for the insight - you seem to know what you're talking about, can I ask what your background is? Also do you know anything specifically about Cooper Parry, ie its unique culture and way of doing things, or are you only working with the knowledge that it is a relatively small firm, with smaller clients, in comparison to big 4? Won't the smaller clients potentially mean I get a better insight into how the business is run as a whole, and the bigger picture of the business, rather than being bogged down by smaller aspects of huge FTSE 100 companies?
You make a compelling argument that big 4 is the way to go to get experience and exposure with large FTSE businesses. I wonder how difficult it would be to move to the big 4 after completing an ACA at Cooper Parry, considering a lot of big 4 ACA graduates leave audit after becoming chartered, it seems likely that it won't be too difficult to join as a chartered accountant?
Thanks for the insight - you seem to know what you're talking about, can I ask what your background is? Also do you know anything specifically about Cooper Parry, ie its unique culture and way of doing things, or are you only working with the knowledge that it is a relatively small firm, with smaller clients, in comparison to big 4? Won't the smaller clients potentially mean I get a better insight into how the business is run as a whole, and the bigger picture of the business, rather than being bogged down by smaller aspects of huge FTSE 100 companies?
You make a compelling argument that big 4 is the way to go to get experience and exposure with large FTSE businesses. I wonder how difficult it would be to move to the big 4 after completing an ACA at Cooper Parry, considering a lot of big 4 ACA graduates leave audit after becoming chartered, it seems likely that it won't be too difficult to join as a chartered accountant?

To add to this, I don't really fancy sitting in a small office at one of these massive FTSE companies box ticking for months on end, just because it may look more attractive on my CV. I'd rather work with smaller clients but do more interesting work and particularly have more variety in terms of getting to work with lots of different clients. Cooper parry offer the opportunity to do project work alongside audit which sounds more interesting and adds value to clients' businesses rather than just reconciling other peoples work.

I worked for Deloitte for a couple of years but after failing a paper I made a decision to go into financial services and qualified as a company secretary instead. I now work in regulatory change for a multinational investment bank.

Honestly, I've never heard of Cooper Parry before and that's not a good thing. Put it this way. If I was recruiting for my team and got your CV and two from candidates with a Big 4 background you'd still get an interview and after that it will be your performance at interview. If on the other hand there were three big 4 candidates, you wouldn't get an interview until after I'd seen all of them, if I chose not to employ any of them. The reason I would do this is that the Big 4 all have working environments like my own so I know people from those backgrounds would fit in. I also know they will have a track record of solid, multinational experience.

The reality is by the time you finish qualifying, you will be looking at quite a lot of that FTSE 100 company, not just a tiny part of it. Whereas if you work for Cooper Parry you'll mostly work on businesses that are not listed - not even on AIM - and who aren't subjected to the same level of scrutiny and regulation as a result. So yeah, you'll see how a more straight forward business works, but you won't have much knowledge of a matrix structured business like my employer.

You could go into the Big 4 after you qualify although if you start at Cooper Parry you'd probably have to get into the top 10 first with someone like BDO or Grant Thornton. As I mentioned earlier, your experience will be with fairly simple structure clients. Also, if you chose to do this you'd spend a lot more time becoming an auditor in practice and the golden handcuffs will slip on. What I mean by that is that by the time you've done a few years with a Big 4 firm you'll have an established career in contrast to most recent ACAs who are still fairly young and low paid when they leave after their three years. You might find you face a choice of internal audit or a pay cut if you try to leave practice.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending