Chloe Chan
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Does LSE law requires an admission interview??
username4218074
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Chloe Chan)
Does LSE law requires an admission interview??
nope, LSE doesn't interviews at all. I would be careful though, if you're wanting to go into high end law LSE doesn't have the same ring to it as it does for things like banking and consulting etc. KCL/UCL/Durham are good alternatives too.
sbvr
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
LSE doesn't do interviews
Chloe Chan
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Levi.-)
nope, LSE doesn't interviews at all. I would be careful though, if you're wanting to go into high end law LSE doesn't have the same ring to it as it does for things like banking and consulting etc. KCL/UCL/Durham are good alternatives too.
I thought that LSE has a relative high ranking as well like UCL!?
username4218074
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
less so for high end law, moreso for everything else. LSE and UCL are target universities for high finance/consulting (investment banking etc) KCL is a semi-target. But for big law (magic circle etc) KCL is somehow recruited from more, then UCL and then LSE.
Alishalol
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
less so for high end law, moreso for everything else. LSE and UCL are target universities for high finance/consulting (investment banking etc) KCL is a semi-target. But for big law (magic circle etc) KCL is somehow recruited from more, then UCL and then LSE.
Okay this is slightly misleading. I get what ur trying to say, students studying Law at LSE are more likely to do investment banking than law due to the nature of the environment at LSE.

But it’s a very highly targeted uni, almost on par with Oxbridge and is 6th for Law in the world.
It also happens to be a lot smaller than UCL and Kings so there may be fewer people applying for specific roles but if u want a corporate job or a job at a magic circle firm, LSE would be the best place arguably in the whole of Europe due to its prestige and location next to the big firms.
sbvr
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It is highly ranked. For example, ranked 4th by the Guardian. Not sure where Levi.- is sourcing.
Johnny ~
Badges: 15
Report 1 month ago
I would be careful though, if you're wanting to go into high end law LSE doesn't have the same ring to it as it does for things like banking and consulting etc. KCL/UCL/Durham are good alternatives too.
Be careful with statements like this. All of the universities you mentioned are more than sufficient for the top commercial firms. I'm not sure why you're even trying to compare banking with law.
username4218074
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sbvr)
It is highly ranked. For example, ranked 4th by the Guardian. Not sure where Levi.- is sourcing.
i'm not looking at that the actual department, i'm looking at the proportion of students getting recruited into magic circle.
username4218074
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Johnny ~)
Be careful with statements like this. All of the universities you mentioned are more than sufficient for the top commercial firms. I'm not sure why you're even trying to compare banking with law.
fair they are all good enough, my point is KCL recruits more into it though tbf this might be skewed by number
Johnny ~
Report 1 month ago
I have to ask why you're offering advice on law when yesterday you did not know what a vacation scheme was?

Representation depends on the firm and comes down to many other factors, such as the size of each university's graduate cohort. You will see LSE being better represented than UCL and KCL at some firms and KCL being better represented at others. Linkedin presents the data in a pretty convenient manner.
username4218074
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have to ask why you're offering advice on law when yesterday you did not know what a vacation scheme was?

Representation depends on the firm and comes down to many other factors, such as the size of each university's graduate cohort. You will see LSE being better represented than UCL and KCL at some firms and KCL being better represented at others. Linkedin presents the data in a pretty convenient manner.
I'm not familiar with the application process but I know for a fact that the brand strength LSE has for finance doesn't convey the same in law. Still a top uni for it sure but its not the same as it is for IB recruitment
Johnny ~
Report 1 month ago
fair they are all good enough, my point is KCL recruits more into it though tbf this might be skewed by number
What's your source for this? A quick look through Linkedin disproves it. It depends on the firm. Durham and Nottingham and Warwick are often better represented than all three of the universities you mentioned. Trying to tie representation to 'cachet' or 'prestige' is pretty stupid and I hope that I won't have to waste time explaining why.
username4218074
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What's your source for this? A quick look through Linkedin disproves it. It depends on the firm. Durham and Nottingham and Warwick are often better represented than all three of the universities you mentioned. Trying to tie representation to 'cachet' or 'prestige' is pretty stupid and I hope that I won't have to waste time explaining why.
https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/wh...versities-2019
though i see the error in this (LSE has much less students in general) and imperial who are increasingly targeted have little placement due to obvious reasons
Johnny ~
Report 1 month ago
I'm not familiar with the application process but I know for a fact that the brand strength LSE has for finance doesn't convey the same in law. Still a top uni for it sure but its not the same as it is for IB recruitment
This statement just conveys your ignorance. "Law" isn't a monolith, and the overwhelming majority of firms/chambers will not look at micro-distinctions like LSE vs KCL in the same way investment banks do. Saying that LSE's "brand" is not the same presupposes that brand matters for commercial law firms to the same degree it matters for employers in the finance sector, when it does not.
username4218074
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Alishalol)
Okay this is slightly misleading. I get what ur trying to say, students studying Law at LSE are more likely to do investment banking than law due to the nature of the environment at LSE.

But it’s a very highly targeted uni, almost on par with Oxbridge and is 6th for Law in the world.
It also happens to be a lot smaller than UCL and Kings so there may be fewer people applying for specific roles but if u want a corporate job or a job at a magic circle firm, LSE would be the best place arguably in the whole of Europe due to its prestige and location next to the big firms.
no my point was LSE doesn't convey the same strength brand wise into law. At this point i recognise it might recruit less because they have less students then most universities. https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/wh...versities-2019
username4218074
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This statement just conveys your ignorance. "Law" isn't a monolith, and the overwhelming majority of firms/chambers will not look at micro-distinctions like LSE vs KCL in the same way investment banks do. Saying that LSE's "brand" is not the same presupposes that brand matters for commercial law firms to the same degree it matters for employers in the finance sector, when it does not.
...so what you're saying is: "LSE doesn't have the same ring to it as it does for things like banking and consulting"? Just by a product of law firms not giving a sh i t in general.
Johnny ~
Report 1 month ago
no my point was LSE doesn't convey the same strength brand wise into law. At this point i recognise it might recruit less because they have less students then most universities. https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/wh...versities-2019
"City firms" encompasses everything from Cleary and Weil (seen as very selective/snobbish firms) to CMS and DWF. LSE, UCL and KCL are proportionately much better represented at the 'top' City firms than they are at mid-tier and large national firms (I doubt that there are any LSE graduates working in large national firms, even in London). You're also clearly aware of the issue of intake size. So I wonder why you're making bold claims about brand strength that you know you can't back up?
Johnny ~
Report 1 month ago
...so what you're saying is: "LSE doesn't have the same ring to it as it does for things like banking and consulting"? Just by a product of law firms not giving a sh i t in general.
Even the most elite/top of law firms only want a reputable university and a consistent academic track record when it comes to grades. There may or may not be an Oxbridge preference (I've heard and seen conflicting things about it) but to suggest that there's a KCL vs LSE or UCL vs KCL preference is beyond ludicrous. A candidate who goes to any of these universities, gets a First, and has good A-levels will be in good stead to secure an interview. This is why you often see universities that are on the next rung 'down' in terms of selectivity and research prowess, such as Warwick and Bristol, being very well represented in 'top' firms, even if these universities don't have the same levels of 'prestige' in the eyes of the average TSR user.

If you're looking for snobbery and prestige-obsession, look at the Bar, and especially the commercial/chancery bar in London. But that accounts for a tiny proportion of law-related graduate openings every year. To generalise its recruitment practices to "law" is impossible.
username4218074
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
"City firms" encompasses everything from Cleary and Weil (seen as very selective/snobbish firms) to CMS and DWF. LSE, UCL and KCL are proportionately much better represented at the 'top' City firms than they are at mid-tier and large national firms (I doubt that there are any LSE graduates working in large national firms, even in London). You're also clearly aware of the issue of intake size. So I wonder why you're making bold claims about brand strength that you know you can't back up?
mate you just said no one makes distinctions between LSE and KCL for law.... one would infer for law firms then that they have the same brand strength OR the brand strength is irrelevant. I conceded intake thing already but I would strongly recommend OP not go to LSE since it's just not a fun university to be at for the majority of people and it won't convey the same ring to law firms as it would to financiers. i.e the ring wouldn't be better than a lot of other universities whereas in finance it would
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (73)
22.67%
Excited but a bit nervous (146)
45.34%
Not bothered either way (38)
11.8%
I'm really nervous (65)
20.19%

Watched Threads