Revision Guides for next year- SQA Highers/AH

Watch this thread
BlackLab
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Looking for recommendations on the best guides for next years subjects as I think they will start showing up for sale 2nd hand as soon as assessments are over. If you have just done these subjects what were best.

AH Maths - School gave us Leckie for Higher which was good, and will give us Leckie again for AH so I don't think I need to buy any other.

AH Physics - Only available book I can find is BrightRed which I will look out for on Marketplace and Gumtree. New HPT AH Physics guide comes out in October.

Higher Geography - I am doing this crash:
What is the best study guide for Higher Geography?
Hodder has separate books for Physical & Human Environment and Global Issues, are these worth buying?
As I am crashing Geography, is the BrightRed book for NAT5 Geography worth getting and skimming over summer?

Higher PE - What is the best revision guide, do I need one for PE Higher exam? I did NAT5 in S4 but didn't need a guide then as the written part was only portfolio.
Charlie_Campbell
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 months ago
I didn’t take any of those subjects but I know that Scholar is a fantastic online revision source. I don’t work well with textbooks but the best ones I’ve used throughout my time are definitley the Bright Red Books and Leckie for Higher Maths.
BlackLab
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I like scholar too and will use it, but after all the the remote schooling sometimes just want to get away from a screen and like a book.

I liked the brightred books for nat5, and bought some for higher bit didn't like them so much, found they tried to fit too much into the double page spreads and didn't explain well. Definitely preferred leckie for higher maths and HTP for higher chemistry.
Charlie_Campbell
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by BlackLab)
I like scholar too and will use it, but after all the the remote schooling sometimes just want to get away from a screen and like a book.

I liked the brightred books for nat5, and bought some for higher bit didn't like them so much, found they tried to fit too much into the double page spreads and didn't explain well. Definitely preferred leckie for higher maths and HTP for higher chemistry.
I’m not sure if they do textbooks for your subjects but Hodder Gibson did a fantastic Higher Biology textbook. Might be something to look into.
SCHOLARuk
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Thank you for the recommendation Charlie_Campbell and we are glad to hear that you do like and use SCHOLAR BlackLab so we hope that you find our courses for AH Maths and AH Physics useful during the next academic year. Printed books of our materials are also available which can help with reducing screen-time: https://books.scholar.hw.ac.uk/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (19)
21.35%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.36%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.62%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
16.85%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (20)
22.47%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
21.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise