The Student Room Group

the role of the autonomic nervous nervous system in the rest and digest response

Is there anything else I can add to this to make it better?

" Once this stressor has gone, the parasympathetic nervous system is activated. This causes the calming of the body to return it to normal, for example pupils contracting, as they would have dilated in the fight or flight response. In addition, the heart rate would return to resting rate as the pressure receptors/baroreceptors would detect an increased blood pressure from the fight or flight response. this causes hypertension, leading to an increased chance of a heart attack or stroke. Therefore, the parasympathetic nervous system is activated to reduce this blood pressure. Digestion is also restarted once the parasympathetic nervous is activated. During fight or flight, Peristalsis, the muscle contraction in the intestines, is halted to divert energy to other places like the muscles. Therefore, once the stressor has gone, this contraction and digestion restarts "
Hi, Since you need a lot of food, I shall stuff some v nice curry I made today into my PC - you can extract it at your end then savour it! Amazing what technology can achieve, isn't it? :colondollar:

Just some minor-sounding but crucial editing needed + maybe more examples of parasympathetic activity [partly depends on what level you are studying at].

" Once this stressor stimulus has gone, the parasympathetic nervous system is activated. This causes the calming of the body to return it to the resting state, for example pupils constricting, as they would have dilated in the fight or flight response. In addition, the heart rate would return to the resting level as the pressure receptors/baroreceptors would detect an increased blood pressure from the fight or flight response. this causes hypertension, leading to an increased chance of a heart attack or stroke. Therefore, the parasympathetic nervous system is activated to reduce this blood pressure. Digestion is also restarted once the parasympathetic nervous system is activated. During fight or flight, Peristalsis, the progressive wave of muscle contraction in the intestines, is halted to divert energy to other tissues/organs like the muscles. Therefore, once the stressor stimulus has gone, this contraction and digestion restarts "

[Green]: additions/edits
[Red]: errors [see below]
A. Hypertension is high blood pressure, so one cannot cause the other.
B. "heart attack" is not caused by hypertension in an acute situation tho it is a risk factor for ischaemic heart disease over a length of time [yes, stroke is possible tho again very rarely due to exercise [sometimes seen with pressor drugs or drug interactions e.g. MAOIs taken with certain foods containing amines e.g. cheese, Chianti wine]] leading to very high catecholamine activity [google "monoamine oxidase"]
C. [blue]: incomplete sentence [what MS Word grammar check calls "fragment"]

If you are at uni, I would mention:
1. the fact that the parasympathetic system performs the "vegetative" functions
2. add other e.g.-s of 1] such as production of urine; bronchoconstriction
3. state the neurotransmitters and receptors involved i.e. sympathetic system: ACh at the ganglia; NA at the end organ [alpha and beta adrenoceptors - beta-1 in the heart leading to increased rate + force of contraction; beta-2 in the lungs mediate bronchodilatation]; AND ACh at ganglia AND end-organ in parasympathetic system acting at muscarinic receptors at end-organ; BOTH arms of autonomic nervous s: nicotinic NG receptors at ganglia..

Hope you get a great mark & Be safe!
M
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon
Hi, Since you need a lot of food, I shall stuff some v nice curry I made today into my PC - you can extract it at your end then savour it! Amazing what technology can achieve, isn't it? :colondollar:

Just some minor-sounding but crucial editing needed + maybe more examples of parasympathetic activity [partly depends on what level you are studying at].

" Once this stressor stimulus has gone, the parasympathetic nervous system is activated. This causes the calming of the body to return it to the resting state, for example pupils constricting, as they would have dilated in the fight or flight response. In addition, the heart rate would return to the resting level as the pressure receptors/baroreceptors would detect an increased blood pressure from the fight or flight response. this causes hypertension, leading to an increased chance of a heart attack or stroke. Therefore, the parasympathetic nervous system is activated to reduce this blood pressure. Digestion is also restarted once the parasympathetic nervous system is activated. During fight or flight, Peristalsis, the progressive wave of muscle contraction in the intestines, is halted to divert energy to other tissues/organs like the muscles. Therefore, once the stressor stimulus has gone, this contraction and digestion restarts "

[Green]: additions/edits
[Red]: errors [see below]
A. Hypertension is high blood pressure, so one cannot cause the other.
B. "heart attack" is not caused by hypertension in an acute situation tho it is a risk factor for ischaemic heart disease over a length of time [yes, stroke is possible tho again very rarely due to exercise [sometimes seen with pressor drugs or drug interactions e.g. MAOIs taken with certain foods containing amines e.g. cheese, Chianti wine]] leading to very high catecholamine activity [google "monoamine oxidase"]
C. [blue]: incomplete sentence [what MS Word grammar check calls "fragment"]

If you are at uni, I would mention:
1. the fact that the parasympathetic system performs the "vegetative" functions
2. add other e.g.-s of 1] such as production of urine; bronchoconstriction
3. state the neurotransmitters and receptors involved i.e. sympathetic system: ACh at the ganglia; NA at the end organ [alpha and beta adrenoceptors - beta-1 in the heart leading to increased rate + force of contraction; beta-2 in the lungs mediate bronchodilatation]; AND ACh at ganglia AND end-organ in parasympathetic system acting at muscarinic receptors at end-organ; BOTH arms of autonomic nervous s: nicotinic NG receptors at ganglia..

Hope you get a great mark & Be safe!
M

thank you so much for this!
I am an A level student year 13, do you reckon this is enough?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Insatiable1-1
thank you so much for this!
I am an A level student year 13, do you reckon this is enough?

Pleasure - knowledge is for sharing!

I think the main determinant is how many marks the Q is worth [they tell you these days in brackets]. I would say your version would be ok [after removing errors] if it was a 4-6 marker.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest