backsplash
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
context: currently studying english lit/lang, media studies and sociology + im in year 12.
im not really sure what i want to do. when i look at uni courses i keep gravitating towards subjects that need like biology and geography more sciency ones. clearly i dont meet the necessary requirements for those courses lol. should i drop out and restart my alevels to take a more relevant set or should i stick with it as i do really enjoy my subjects but they are not careers that i want to pursue.
or would it be worth this: i saw i course that i liked the look of at the university of plymouth- ocean sciences and marine conservation (https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/u...e-conservation) the ocean has always piqued an interest, briefly to the point of obsession, albeit stemming from mermaids and ocean fiction ahaha. this would be something that i am interested in doing and extremely suprisingly, it allows for sociology in the entry requirements. would it be worth doing this and trying to get perhaps more extensive experience to go alongside it rather than restarting my alevels?... i am also a little worried about my competence at maths and all of science- im not bad at it but in my gcses i got 55 which is obviously very average but i got very good biology grades and awful chemistry grades and okay physics grades which averages out to very average grades (hey, maybe i do have some competence with maths ahahha) sorry to burden you with my... dilemma? but all help is appreciated! thank you
Last edited by backsplash; 2 months ago
Caz1234567
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If you're 100% sure you want to do science, you could ask your school if you could retake year 12 this September. However, If you're currently doing really well in your subjects, I'd continue with them and look into foundation year marine science. Please bear in mind that I got a 7 in chem and dropped it because if how hard it was, I got a 7 in maths and I'm struggling to keep up lol. Most people who succeed in science a levels had 8s or 9s at GCSE. Also many sixth forms require you to have at least a 6 in the subject you want to do at a level.
You'd definitely have better chances in the science career in field by taking science a levels and getting into competitive unis rather than a uni that will take anything
Hope this helps!
Last edited by Caz1234567; 2 months ago
backsplash
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Caz1234567)
If you're 100% sure you want to do science, you could ask your school if you could retake year 12 this September. However, If you're currently doing really well in your subjects, I'd continue with them and look into foundation year marine science. Please bear in mind that I got a 7 in chem and dropped it because if how hard it was, I got a 7 in maths and I'm struggling to keep up lol. Most people who succeed in science a levels had 8s or 9s at GCSE. Also many sixth forms require you to have at least a 6 in the subject you want to do at a level.
You'd definitely have better chances in the science career in field by taking science a levels and getting into competitive unis rather than a uni that will take anything
Hope this helps!
than you! it really does
McGinger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
How to decide What to Study at University - read it all : https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice...-what-to-study
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (23)
27.06%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (9)
10.59%
No I am happy with my choice (48)
56.47%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (5)
5.88%

Watched Threads