Is taking Art as an extra IB subject even worth it for the path I want to take?

Watch this thread
Sq-ish-y
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey there!,
Currently I am in the midst of finishing up my GCSEs- but I've a slight question with subjects. You see, I am taking A levels (Biology, Chemistry and Maths- possibly further) and I thought of taking IB Art as well as these three A levels. I've had a passion for art since I was young and do have a very prominent creative side. I just thought of how much of a shame it would be to drop a skill that I have built up over the years. Does anyone think this is worth doing? Or should I just stick to the three A levels I have chosen?

(I am also planning on doing dermatology when I grow up hehe)
Reanna.xxx
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
I do chemistry, biology and maths A levels and let me tell you, it is *a lot* of work. They are 3 of the hardest A levels and art is also an extremely time consuming and demanding course. So, I’m going to be brutally honest in saying that it really isn’t worth the additional stress of doing art if you want to pursue dermatology in the future. However, that doesn’t mean that you have to give up art! I’ve had a passion for art too and i still like to pursue it on the side, without the academic pressure. What I will say though is that if you really really are that passionate about art, maybe you should be leaning towards a more artistic route for a career? I hope this helped, if you want me to answer any questions about my A levels or otherwise then I’d be more than happy to
Sq-ish-y
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Reanna.xxx)
I do chemistry, biology and maths A levels and let me tell you, it is *a lot* of work. They are 3 of the hardest A levels and art is also an extremely time consuming and demanding course. So, I’m going to be brutally honest in saying that it really isn’t worth the additional stress of doing art if you want to pursue dermatology in the future. However, that doesn’t mean that you have to give up art! I’ve had a passion for art too and i still like to pursue it on the side, without the academic pressure. What I will say though is that if you really really are that passionate about art, maybe you should be leaning towards a more artistic route for a career? I hope this helped, if you want me to answer any questions about my A levels or otherwise then I’d be more than happy to
Omg! Thank you so much for the reply! I did actually have a question regarding chemistry A level (I was debating on whether or not to ask)- but did you find A level chemistry more difficult than GCSE in terms of tests and stuff? I heard its all new content so you scrap what you have learned in GCSE, is that also true? I'm kinda nervous hehe
Reanna.xxx
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sq-ish-y)
Omg! Thank you so much for the reply! I did actually have a question regarding chemistry A level (I was debating on whether or not to ask)- but did you find A level chemistry more difficult than GCSE in terms of tests and stuff? I heard its all new content so you scrap what you have learned in GCSE, is that also true? I'm kinda nervous hehe
A level chemistry is definitely much, much harder than gcse in terms of both tests and content. The concepts are much more complex and the format of exam questions will take some time to get used to. However, despite the difficulty, chemistry is fascinating! I find it really enjoyable and it does make you want to actually revise. It is true that some gcse content is scrapped just because a lot of concepts in gcse chem are so condensed that you kind of have to relearn the entire process (idk if that makes sense haha). At the same time though, chemistry A level does also build on a handful of gcse topics and expands them further. Overall, it’s a wonderful and super useful A level and as long as you’re willing to work, I think you’ll be absolutely fine! I hope this helped
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (132)
66.33%
No (45)
22.61%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.06%

Watched Threads