The Student Room Group

Foundation Course at Drama School?

I am on my second year out and decided to apply to drama school for the first time. I would like to work as an actor in the future and got offered foundation courses at two Drama schools and also have unconditional offers at university to study film and drama. However I have a huge dilemma whether to do the foundation course which could be 6 months to a year depending on drama school and reapply for drama school BA courses again next year knowing there is a huge chance I wouldn't get in or go uni and then apply for masters.

I don't know many people who'v done foundation courses at drama school? are they worth it? what do you do if you don't get into BA courses after? Any advice
Foundation courses don't guarantee you a place at drama school, so you've got to want to do the training in its own right. Also they are expensive and very few are funded, so you might not be eligible for a student loan for them.
Views on them are mixed - some people think they're just a moneymaker for the drama schools, other people have said they were a useful experience to help them decide that they definitely did/ did not want to pursue the 3 year BA acting afterwards.

Presumably you could defer/reapply to the uni course as a back up next year?
Original post by AlexSilver
Foundation courses don't guarantee you a place at drama school, so you've got to want to do the training in its own right. Also they are expensive and very few are funded, so you might not be eligible for a student loan for them.
Views on them are mixed - some people think they're just a moneymaker for the drama schools, other people have said they were a useful experience to help them decide that they definitely did/ did not want to pursue the 3 year BA acting afterwards.

Presumably you could defer/reapply to the uni course as a back up next year?

Yeah I’ve heard that few people decided drama school training wasn’t for them, I’ve already deferred uni twice hence why the dilemma. But thank you for your insight, appreciate it :smile:
I did the Acting Foundation at Oxford School of Drama. It’s a good way of figuring out if drama school is definitely for you before committing to a 3 year course, but obviously doing a foundation doesn’t mean you’ll get into a BA straight after.
Reply 4
Hi, did u use anyone of there funding schemes?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending