Please may someone proofread this for my German exam?

Watch
Icantthink
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi, I have my German speaking exam tomorrow and I was wondering whether anyone who knows anything about German could proofread my notes just to check if they make sense

normalerweise esse ich frühstück mit mein bruder aber gestern konnte ich nicht, weil ich Prüfungen habe gehabt. Ich esse immer Abendessen mit meine Familie um Zeit ihnen zu verbringen.

ich werde Fußball mit meine Familie spielen. Mein bruder kann Fußball sehr gut speilen aber mein Vater hasst Fußball, weil er es ist nicht nur langweilig sondern auch echt blöd glaubt.

Thank you
Rebeccamaurier
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
It would be 'mit meinEM Bruder' in the first line because mit takes the dative
I don't think it's wrong, but I think it would be more natural to say ' weil ich Prüfungen hatte'
Ich esse immer mit meiner Familie Abendessen, um Zeit mit ihnen zu verbringen.
Ich werde mit meinER Familie Fußball spielen (dative again)
Krokodilo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Icantthink)
Hi, I have my German speaking exam tomorrow and I was wondering whether anyone who knows anything about German could proofread my notes just to check if they make sense
1) normalerweise esse ich frühstück mit mein bruder aber gestern konnte ich nicht, weil ich Prüfungen habe gehabt.

• Normalerweise frühstücke ich [mit {meinem Bruder}ᴰᴬᵀ],
Verb "frühstücken", conjugation table: https://de.wiktionary.org/wiki/fr%C3%BChst%C3%BCcken

• aber gestern konnte ich DAS nicht (tun), / aber gestern war DAS nicht möglich,
but yesterday I wasn't able to do THIS / But yesterday, THIS wasn't possible.

• weil ich Prüfungen gehabt HABE. / better here: ... weil ich Prüfungen hatte.
=> "habe" is the *conjugated* verb and therefore goes to the end of the subordinate clause.
However, the preterite/imperfect tense would sound more 'natural' here.

2) Ich esse immer Abendessen mit meine Familie um Zeit ihnen zu verbringen.

• Ich esse Abendessen immer zusammen [mit {meiner Familie}ᴰᴬᵀ], / Ich esse zu Abend immer zusammen [mit {meiner Familie}ᴰᴬᵀ],

• um Zeit mit ihr zu verbringen. / um Zeit mit allen zu verbringen.
=> "mit allen" = with all/everyone
Inflection table for "all-" used as indefinite pronoun: https://de.wiktionary.org/wiki/all

3) ich werde Fußball mit meine Familie spielen.

• Ich werde [mit {meiner Familie}ᴰᴬᵀ] Fußball spielen.

4) Mein bruder kann Fußball sehr gut speilen aber mein Vater hasst Fußball, weil er es ist nicht nur langweilig sondern auch echt blöd glaubt.

• Mein Bruder kann sehr gut Fußball spielen, / Mein Bruder spielt sehr gut Fußball,

• aber mein Vater hasst Fußball,

• weil er es nicht nur langweilig, sondern auch echt blöd FINDET.
(glauben = to believe)

___
For improvement/revision I would suggest:

Revise exactly how prepositions are used grammatically and just pattern-drill the correct articles (endings) depending on the gender and the case of a noun. Remember to always memorise nouns *together* with the corresponding article, e.g., feminine [die/eine/meine Familie]ᴺᴼᴹ becomes [der/einer/meiner Familie]ᴰᴬᵀ etc. Pattern-drill this with masculine and neuter nouns too of course, and also in the plural. The goal is to make this basic binding of noun and article come to you as intuitively and instantly as possible.
Last edited by Krokodilo; 3 months ago
Icantthink
Rep:
?
(Original post by Krokodilo)
1) normalerweise esse ich frühstück mit mein bruder aber gestern konnte ich nicht, weil ich Prüfungen habe gehabt.

Verb "frühstücken", conjugation table: https://de.wiktionary.org/wiki/fr%C3%BChst%C3%BCcken

• aber gestern konnte ich DAS nicht (tun), / aber gestern war DAS nicht möglich,

=> "habe" is the *conjugated* verb and therefore goes to the end of the subordinate clause.

• Ich esse Abendessen immer zusammen [mit {meiner Familie}ᴰᴬᵀ], / Ich esse zu Abend immer zusammen [mit {meiner Familie}ᴰᴬᵀ],

Inflection table for "all-" used as indefinite pronoun: https://de.wiktionary.org/wiki/all

4) Mein bruder kann Fußball sehr gut speilen aber mein Vater hasst Fußball, weil er es ist nicht nur langweilig sondern auch echt blöd glaubt.

• Mein Bruder kann sehr gut Fußball spielen, / Mein Bruder spielt sehr gut Fußball,

(glauben = to believe)

___

Revise exactly how prepositions are used grammatically and just pattern-drill the correct articles (endings) depending on the gender and the case of a noun. Remember to always memorise nouns *together* with the corresponding article, e.g., feminine [die/eine/meine Familie]ᴺᴼᴹ becomes [der/einer/meiner Familie]ᴰᴬᵀ etc. Pattern-drill this with masculine and neuter nouns too of course, and also in the plural. The goal is to make this basic binding of noun and article come to you as intuitively and instantly as possible.
Thank you so much! This was incredibly helpful
Icantthink
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rebeccamaurier)
It would be 'mit meinEM Bruder' in the first line because mit takes the dative
I don't think it's wrong, but I think it would be more natural to say ' weil ich Prüfungen hatte'
Ich esse immer mit meiner Familie Abendessen, um Zeit mit ihnen zu verbringen.
Ich werde mit meinER Familie Fußball spielen (dative again)
This was really useful, thank you so much!
Icantthink
Rep:
?

(glauben = to believe)

___

I’ve just done my exam and I think it went really well, so thank you again, this was so helpful and gave me a lot more confidence
Krokodilo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Icantthink)
I’ve just done my exam and I think it went really well, so thank you again, this was so helpful and gave me a lot more confidence
Good to hear that! 😀 Out of curiosity, could you briefly explain what the exact exam procedure was and how long it went?
Icantthink
Rep:
?
Good to hear that! 😀 Out of curiosity, could you briefly explain what the exact exam procedure was and how long it went?
I had to describe a photo, answer questions that were related to the photo (they were sent to me the night before) and then have a 3 minute conversation about a different topic.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.34%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (25)
14.12%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.64%

Watched Threads