The Student Room Group

should I stop or continue? (diet)

hi so I've been eating 400-600 calories a day for about 3 weeks (and 800-1200 for a few months before that) and my mum has been getting mad at me for basically only eating a chicken breast and some fruit/veg and complaint of how there is nothing to me however I still feel very overweight. I have been noticing I get tired easily and have trouble remember things. she wants me to eat more but I really don't want to as I want to lose weight and not gain any by eating more.....what should I do?

(for context, I'm female, almost 17, 5 foot 4 and weigh 7 stone 4 as of today)
Your eating is disordered and continually posting about it on here is not healthy for you.

I’d advise you to get some help from a responsible adult.
Original post by Anonymous
hi so I've been eating 400-600 calories a day for about 3 weeks (and 800-1200 for a few months before that) and my mum has been getting mad at me for basically only eating a chicken breast and some fruit/veg and complaint of how there is nothing to me however I still feel very overweight. I have been noticing I get tired easily and have trouble remember things. she wants me to eat more but I really don't want to as I want to lose weight and not gain any by eating more.....what should I do?

Sounds like ur overdoing it... stop before u get underweight!

As for the tiredness and memory... maybe it’s ur body trying to tell u that u need to eat more!

U should probably be eating abt 1500 calories considering ur age and height 😬
You should talk to your doctor.
Reply 4
Attention seeking is a typical behaviour of an eating disorder. You know full well what you should do and what not doing it will lead to. You don't need strangers to tell you that this is dangerous because you're fully aware.
Please get help if you want to recover, and if not, please just stop posting about this instead of promoting this to younger and perhaps more vulnerable people. There's better forums on the internet suited to this topic where you will find honest support and help from people who recovered from this disorder, and not just your typical "omg this is so badddd" comments like on here.
...I have been noticing I get tired easily and have trouble remember things.

This is your body’s way of telling you that you’re doing more harm than good.
Seek professional help as advised above.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by GabiAbi84
Your eating is disordered and continually posting about it on here is not healthy for you.

I’d advise you to get some help from a responsible adult.

This is the first time I've posted on here? And I am generally curious on what to do as I find face-to-face conversations with strangers (e.g. doctor's) very hard to do so I want to make sure if it is even worth worrying about
Reported :smile:)

you sound exactly like I did when i had an ed. I recognise what you're saying, and I know how hard it can get. You can try to convince yourself all you want that what you're doing id healthy, or good for bikini season or whatever but please recognise that eating that amount is completely disordered and sounds like it could lead to hospitalisation
eating disorders are serious and scary, please please talk to somebody. one of the ways they're so dangerous is that people really do not want to get out of them, but they're so ridiculously dangerous it's important to get some help.
I really admire you posting on here because it suggests some part of you does recognise it's not normal to be eating that little, and once you admit that to yourself you can start to find some help.
I really do wish you the best, EDs are scary and can feel so trapping. There is a point where you won't be trapped by obsessing over food any more and can enjoy eating again, and I guess that doesnt sound so good to you at the moment but it really is.
You are absolutely not overweight, I think you should worry about being underweight! I'm five four too and a good amount heavier than you. I put on a stone-ish since recovering from my ed and the only real difference is my boobs have grown, I feel physically stronger and my periods are back to being regular. I know weight gain is terrifying (seriously I know) but if you have help it can change your mindset and it might not seem so bad anymore.

Also, noticed somebody say underneath that 1500 kcals a day is "normal for your weight and height". That's false, and dangerous. As an older teenage girl, 2000 is the recommended healthy. It can be more depending on how active you are.
Best of luck and I really do hope you can get some help. I'm sure somebody else will reply and be able to give better advice than me, but please please talk to someone.

ps - i don't mean to sound critical, but eds can get morbidly competitive and putting your height and weight on a public page may be really damaging to somebody else. not trying to invalidate your feelings but putting numbers can be triggering to those with an ed or those recovering
(edited 2 years ago)
This is the first time I've posted on here? And I am generally curious on what to do as I find face-to-face conversations with strangers (e.g. doctor's) very hard to do so I want to make sure if it is even worth worrying about

I find that hard to believe:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=95251496

And I don’t find your intentions to be genuine at all tbh.
Like I said, speak to a responsible adult.
Original post by emmahigginson
you sound exactly like I did when i had an ed. I recognise what you're saying, and I know how hard it can get. You can try to convince yourself all you want that what you're doing id healthy, or good for bikini season or whatever but please recognise that eating that amount is completely disordered and sounds like it could lead to hospitalisation
eating disorders are serious and scary, please please talk to somebody. one of the ways they're so dangerous is that people really do not want to get out of them, but they're so ridiculously dangerous it's important to get some help.
I really admire you posting on here because it suggests some part of you does recognise it's not normal to be eating that little, and once you admit that to yourself you can start to find some help.
I really do wish you the best, EDs are scary and can feel so trapping. There is a point where you won't be trapped by obsessing over food any more and can enjoy eating again, and I guess that doesnt sound so good to you at the moment but it really is.
You are absolutely not overweight, I think you should worry about being underweight! I'm five four too and a good amount heavier than you. I put on a stone-ish since recovering from my ed and the only real difference is my boobs have grown, I feel physically stronger and my periods are back to being regular. I know weight gain is terrifying (seriously I know) but if you have help it can change your mindset and it might not seem so bad anymore.

Also, noticed somebody say underneath that 1500 kcals a day is "normal for your weight and height". That's false, and dangerous. As an older teenage girl, 2000 is the recommended healthy. It can be more depending on how active you are.
Best of luck and I really do hope you can get some help. I'm sure somebody else will reply and be able to give better advice than me, but please please talk to someone.

ps - i don't mean to sound critical, but eds can get morbidly competitive and putting your height and weight on a public page may be really damaging to somebody else. not trying to invalidate your feelings but putting numbers can be triggering to those with an ed or those recovering

I apologise for posting my details of weight etc. And have reported it to delete the post as I can't seem to delete it any other way. Thank you kindly for your input and help, I will try and talk to my mum about it :smile:
Original post by GabiAbi84
I find that hard to believe:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=95251496

And I don’t find your intentions to be genuine at all tbh.
Like I said, speak to a responsible adult.

Some things are hard to believe but I am being truthful. I will be talking to my parents about it later but thank you ever so much for your help

Quick Reply

Latest