Do Universities prefer Latin GCSE students???????

Watch
kasig195
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So basically, at my friend's school, they could do Latin in year 9 and get some sort of qualification? Is that true?

And the other, he said that medical (mainly)and other unis preferred students with Latin. Of course, I think I am right to know that is wrong, but any proper and reliable answers please?
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No med school specifically asks for Latin GCSE. It can be an 'easy 8/9' for some students and then some med schools will score your GCSEs - you can have a look at how med schools used GCSEs for 2021 entry here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/res...e-requirements

It's somewhat common for (typically private schools) to put students in for some GCSEs in year 9/10 - usually French or Latin type subjects. There's no special yr 9 certificate in Latin that I'm aware of.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Latin GCSE does exist but gives you no specific advantage. Might be useful if you want to study Latin A-level or have an interest in classics.

In general your GCSE choices are irrelevant. In the very few cases where GCSEs are seriously considered, it's usually based on number or percentage over a certain grade. Pick subjects you can do well in.
Last edited by _gcx; 1 month ago
Turning_A_Corner
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There are no preferred GCSEs beyond the specific subjects they ask for, either for medical schools or other courses. If a university wants Latin they’ll ask for it, but medical schools won’t.

For your own learning, though, Latin is a good subject to do. It definitely can help for recognising roots in medical terms and it is helpful for general English as well. However, it is by no means an “easy A” subject. It’s actually a lot of work.
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Turning_A_Corner)
However, it is by no means an “easy A” subject. It’s actually a lot of work.
Everyone in my GCSE class except me was doing it for the easy A :lol:
I agree it can be a lot of work if starting from scratch in Y9 but tbh if your school offers it you've usually been doing it from age 7-11 and the GCSE is then very easy (in my biased opinion). Much like MFL GCSEs.
Turning_A_Corner
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by becausethenight)
Everyone in my GCSE class except me was doing it for the easy A :lol:
I agree it can be a lot of work if starting from scratch in Y9 but tbh if your school offers it you've usually been doing it from age 7-11 and the GCSE is then very easy (in my biased opinion). Much like MFL GCSEs.
Yes but this is a typical thing in many private schools. We did it from year 8 in my school and the only thing we really needed to do for the GCSE was go over the core texts and consolidate. But starting from scratch is challenging and in the few state schools it is offered it is often only offered as an option at GCSE. The amount of vocab you have to learn for GCSE is more than for any MFL subject and cramming that into 2 years plus all your grammar (again, more than you have to know for any MFL) is nothing like an easy A!
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Turning_A_Corner)
Yes but this is a typical thing in many private schools. We did it from year 8 in my school and the only thing we really needed to do for the GCSE was go over the core texts and consolidate. But starting from scratch is challenging and in the few state schools it is offered it is often only offered as an option at GCSE. The amount of vocab you have to learn for GCSE is more than for any MFL subject and cramming that into 2 years plus all your grammar (again, more than you have to know for any MFL) is nothing like an easy A!
As I said - but the vast majority of students will not be doing that! I would imagine any state school pupil willingly choosing to begin Latin in Y9 is also probably highly motivated.
Also, I know people who did very well at GCSE latin knowing no grammar at all :rofl: Easy if you can memorise!
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kasig195)
So basically, at my friend's school, they could do Latin in year 9 and get some sort of qualification? Is that true?

And the other, he said that medical (mainly)and other unis preferred students with Latin. Of course, I think I am right to know that is wrong, but any proper and reliable answers please?
They will not care.

The only real time id think it would be an advantage is if you are applying to study classics or ancient languages or something like that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (74)
22.77%
Excited but a bit nervous (147)
45.23%
Not bothered either way (38)
11.69%
I'm really nervous (66)
20.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise