The Student Room Group

antidepressant makes me feel soo sleepy

it seems to have this 'out of it', sedating effect on me, similar to benzos. i feel like i could sleep all day which defeats the point i guess? i always need a nap 1-2h after taking it. i also get occasional dizzy spells, they're pretty bad.
i've only been on it for a few days tho so hopefully it's just my body still getting used to it? or is this likely to be a permanent side effect or something? apparently it might take a few weeks for them to actually start working?
Yeah, SSRIs can take 6-8 wees to really start working. Tiredness is a very common side effect and may or may not get better the longer you are on it.

In the meantime, might I recommend Aldi energy drinks :tongue: It's the only thing that allows me to function on psych meds.
If it's an SSRI then that is common. Symptoms can last a few weeks and it can take a few weeks to work.
I know fatigue can be a long-lasting effect and when I was taking fluoxetine I would get really tired and would go to bed early but for some people, it's just short term.
I'd suggest just taking it as easy as you can.
The first two weeks, it’s likely you’ll feel iffy in one way or another. Unfortunately they’re one of those meds that make you feel worse before it gets better.

I’m on day 7 of mine and I’ve been really tired too. I’ve found that trying to get more energy from food helps. Every time I feel tired enough that I could nap, I have a snack and then it starts to get better (but try to stick to healthier, slow release energy foods rather than going straight to sugar, it’ll make it harder to stop snacking when you no longer need to). Fresh air from outside and lots of light also helps.
Reply 4
Original post by Sabertooth
Yeah, SSRIs can take 6-8 wees to really start working. Tiredness is a very common side effect and may or may not get better the longer you are on it.

In the meantime, might I recommend Aldi energy drinks :tongue: It's the only thing that allows me to function on psych meds.

i really hope it does. comparing to my past experiences with antidepressants, things aren't too bad atm so i will stick with it for now
sadly, energy drunks give me heart palpitations :<
Original post by jemima0103
If it's an SSRI then that is common. Symptoms can last a few weeks and it can take a few weeks to work.
I know fatigue can be a long-lasting effect and when I was taking fluoxetine I would get really tired and would go to bed early but for some people, it's just short term.
I'd suggest just taking it as easy as you can.

it actually is fluoxetine. hopefully it's short term in my case
Original post by Anonymous
The first two weeks, it’s likely you’ll feel iffy in one way or another. Unfortunately they’re one of those meds that make you feel worse before it gets better.

I’m on day 7 of mine and I’ve been really tired too. I’ve found that trying to get more energy from food helps. Every time I feel tired enough that I could nap, I have a snack and then it starts to get better (but try to stick to healthier, slow release energy foods rather than going straight to sugar, it’ll make it harder to stop snacking when you no longer need to). Fresh air from outside and lots of light also helps.

glad to hear i'm not the only one, lol
hopefully thing will get better

Quick Reply

Latest