The Student Room Group

OCD

If you have ocd does your ocd ever bring you to say things out loud? To possibly get it out of your system, like intrusive thoughts that’s you get? I know someone struggling with ocd and I’d like to see what people have to say about this, thanks
Original post by Anonymous
If you have ocd does your ocd ever bring you to say things out loud? To possibly get it out of your system, like intrusive thoughts that’s you get? I know someone struggling with ocd and I’d like to see what people have to say about this, thanks

It used to, yeah. Like if I had said a certain word I was unlikely to repeat again in that conversation, I had to say it again or I felt something bad would happen. Sometimes I would mutter it too. It's something that I've slowly gotten over having to do, but it's resurfaced in other ways or things I have to do instead. Like saying a specific thing every time you do something (e.g. thanking a teacher every time you leave at the end of the lesson). Compulsions are different for everyone with OCD, so maybe some people have never had to do that but some have. I don't know.

Your friend might swap it for something else if they can, or they might not. I guess it depends on themselves and how much control on their OCD they have. Or how brave they feel, how they deal with the anxiety/worries that come with it etc.

There's a range of things they may have to do, and speech is only one aspect of them.

I don't know if that makes any sense to you, but it does to me lol. I'm trying to figure out how to say it in a way you'd understand what I'm going on about/show you the thought process behind some of it. OCD is not the same for all people with it, but I love that you're trying to understand your friend more. I don't really comment on mental health posts anonymously but it's something personal I guess. So if they have to say things out loud, just pretend it's normal or don't comment on it to make them feel bad. That was one thing I used to worry about so much; what other people thought of me and how obvious it looked to them that I had OCD and was doing these things.
Reply 2
It used to, yeah. Like if I had said a certain word I was unlikely to repeat again in that conversation, I had to say it again or I felt something bad would happen. Sometimes I would mutter it too. It's something that I've slowly gotten over having to do, but it's resurfaced in other ways or things I have to do instead. Like saying a specific thing every time you do something (e.g. thanking a teacher every time you leave at the end of the lesson). Compulsions are different for everyone with OCD, so maybe some people have never had to do that but some have. I don't know.

Your friend might swap it for something else if they can, or they might not. I guess it depends on themselves and how much control on their OCD they have. Or how brave they feel, how they deal with the anxiety/worries that come with it etc.

There's a range of things they may have to do, and speech is only one aspect of them.

I don't know if that makes any sense to you, but it does to me lol. I'm trying to figure out how to say it in a way you'd understand what I'm going on about/show you the thought process behind some of it. OCD is not the same for all people with it, but I love that you're trying to understand your friend more. I don't really comment on mental health posts anonymously but it's something personal I guess. So if they have to say things out loud, just pretend it's normal or don't comment on it to make them feel bad. That was one thing I used to worry about so much; what other people thought of me and how obvious it looked to them that I had OCD and was doing these things.

Thank you so much, that makes a lot of sense. I’ve never judged my friend and I try to act casual about their situation so that’s good :smile: I think my friend said a specific thought out loud (something that they found disturbing) to sort of get it out of their system and stop thinking about it, they feel pretty bad about it. I just wanted to see if that was common. You really helped with my understanding of ocd, it’s quite misinterpreted by a lot of people.

Personally, my OCD does make me say things that others wouldn't normally say. I have difficulty reading others emotions so I don't really know how they react to what I say unless they display it right on their face. I much prefer having things written down in words without having to infer anything because I'm scared I'm going to misread what's happening.

Different people react differently in strange situations. Personally, I don't feel awkward interrupting say a date because I'm not really sure how they have reacted. Every OCD person reacts differently to situations and you could always ask what they struggle with in terms of being OCD. Most of my friends are OCD so I've grown up having people tell me what others are feeling and me explaining to them what's happened if they don't understand. It's a common trait amongst autistic children and we like not being alone in the way we think.

OCD isn't a curse, it's the way our brains are wired. We all have a little bit of OCD in us but that's what makes us us. It just so happens that compulsivity is shown more in a small number of people.
Thank you so much, that makes a lot of sense. I’ve never judged my friend and I try to act casual about their situation so that’s good :smile: I think my friend said a specific thought out loud (something that they found disturbing) to sort of get it out of their system and stop thinking about it, they feel pretty bad about it. I just wanted to see if that was common. You really helped with my understanding of ocd, it’s quite misinterpreted by a lot of people.

Sometimes that does help too, different people do different things. And definitely - it's not what people think it is at all! I guess with stuff like this, there's always going to be misinterpretations but trying to understand them is great. Maybe even ask your friend if they want to talk about it because I found doing that helped me, anyway. I'm glad I could be of help

Quick Reply

Latest