The Student Room Group

Pcda vs uni

Hi there I’m an A Level student and just finished all my exams. I’m deciding what I want to do in the future either go on the PCDA route which I’m currently doing the application for West Midlands. Or I can go to Uni I’ve applied to uni of Leeds for criminology & criminal justice. My sibling is telling me to go to Uni for the experience I will gain but I don’t see myself enjoying it long term - I’d be stuck with fees and away from my friends, and have to worry about fitting in getting a job etc. In the PCDA in west mid I’d be earning money, nearer to my friends etc. What’s better ?
I think it very much depends on you as a person in terms of which is better. On paper, PCDA is of course the best option given you're being paid and end up with a free degree and secure job.

Having said that, being a police officer is a job like no other and you'll be thrown in at the deep end on a response team. A lot of people joining, especially at 18, are unprepared really how much the job demands. It's not some 9-5 job which gives you loads of time off to study for your degree. You have to be willing to work all hours on a shift pattern, and be willing to miss major occassions at the drop of a hat. At the age of 18, that's a lot to ask. That's generally why the police prefer more mature candidates in their mid to late twenties who have more life experience, which is often much needed when dealing with a volatile crowd or severely-challenging victim.

I had the exact same dilemma as you - I'm now at university studying an unrelated discipline which I felt was a good safety net to open a lot more doors in the future. The graduate entry schemes into the police appear very good and it's definitely something I'll be looking at applying for. I would say only apply for the PCDA if you want to be a police officer, and are prepared to be one for 35+ years. Those who apply with the intention of doing a few years, getting a free degree and having some fun are often the ones who find the job breaks them pretty quick. I felt unprepared at 18 and so chose to go to uni and look at getting into the Specials to try it out before applying later on. I would recommend that route but of course it's up to you.
Reply 2
Original post by JOSH4598
I think it very much depends on you as a person in terms of which is better. On paper, PCDA is of course the best option given you're being paid and end up with a free degree and secure job.

Having said that, being a police officer is a job like no other and you'll be thrown in at the deep end on a response team. A lot of people joining, especially at 18, are unprepared really how much the job demands. It's not some 9-5 job which gives you loads of time off to study for your degree. You have to be willing to work all hours on a shift pattern, and be willing to miss major occassions at the drop of a hat. At the age of 18, that's a lot to ask. That's generally why the police prefer more mature candidates in their mid to late twenties who have more life experience, which is often much needed when dealing with a volatile crowd or severely-challenging victim.

I had the exact same dilemma as you - I'm now at university studying an unrelated discipline which I felt was a good safety net to open a lot more doors in the future. The graduate entry schemes into the police appear very good and it's definitely something I'll be looking at applying for. I would say only apply for the PCDA if you want to be a police officer, and are prepared to be one for 35+ years. Those who apply with the intention of doing a few years, getting a free degree and having some fun are often the ones who find the job breaks them pretty quick. I felt unprepared at 18 and so chose to go to uni and look at getting into the Specials to try it out before applying later on. I would recommend that route but of course it's up to you.

Thank you for this !
I’m quite introverted and get quite bored / depressed when I’m not occupied with work so I think a PCDA will help me but obviously that means I will have to work loads and get hardly any free time. The recruiter also told me that you have to be prepared for the amount of work I would have to do and stuff - I’m also someone who enjoys alone time as I get burnouts from being out all day with people and I think to an extent being in the police will really tire me out on some days. I’ve applied to Criminology & Criminal Justice at Uni of Leeds and it’s not even a bad place nor a bad degree - the thing that scares me about uni is that I will be away from all my school friends and bc I’m quite shy and stingy with money I won’t be going out so often which I might get judged for. But then I will also have free time and do what I want right? I wanted to do the PCDA bc I want to be a private detective when I’m older so that means I will only be in the forces for about 10 years in total. Hearing this, how does it sound?
Original post by S19laras
Thank you for this !
I’m quite introverted and get quite bored / depressed when I’m not occupied with work so I think a PCDA will help me but obviously that means I will have to work loads and get hardly any free time. The recruiter also told me that you have to be prepared for the amount of work I would have to do and stuff - I’m also someone who enjoys alone time as I get burnouts from being out all day with people and I think to an extent being in the police will really tire me out on some days. I’ve applied to Criminology & Criminal Justice at Uni of Leeds and it’s not even a bad place nor a bad degree - the thing that scares me about uni is that I will be away from all my school friends and bc I’m quite shy and stingy with money I won’t be going out so often which I might get judged for. But then I will also have free time and do what I want right? I wanted to do the PCDA bc I want to be a private detective when I’m older so that means I will only be in the forces for about 10 years in total. Hearing this, how does it sound?

Yes your course at the University of Leeds is certainly a good thing to have been offered - it’s a Russel Group university and Leeds has many opportunities (often linked with other universities like York where I’m at). For example I’ve recently been successful on applying for a two-year leadership development programme alongside my degree, which gives me a leadership qualification etc which is useful for graduate jobs in the future. University allows you to pick up lots of little things like that along the way.

You mention being with your friends though as a reason to go for the PCDA. Joining the police largely equates giving up on your social life, given you’ll be working shifts. You may find all your free time is random spells during the week, especially as you’re likely to be working most Friday/Saturday nights. Often that’s not very compatible with other people and so unless they’re willing to meet up at random times don’t be too optimistic.

You also say you’re quite introverted. There’s certainly nothing bad about that (I’m similar!) although that was a concern for me and another reason I didn’t go for PCDA. You’ll be spending anywhere from 10 hours to 14/15 hours constantly meeting people and talking to others. Being a police officer means you have to be comfortable interacting with others in high-stress scenarios for long periods of time. There isn’t much opportunity to go and sit by yourself in peace when you’re going from call to call.

With regards to the cost of university, I would largely ignore those people who speak of £50,000 debts and hype up the costs. Irrespective of the debt (including your maintenance loan which should cover food, rent and anything else like that), being a police officer means you will be earning a fairly insignificant wage and so you’ll likely repay very little. You almost certainly won’t start repaying for the first few years and even then it’ll likely be £20-odd per month, which is minimal on take home pay of £1,800/£2,000. It means your university experience will be fairly cheap when you work it out over your 30-year period before the debt is cancelled. Just a thought I’d add given a lot of people hype up the cost of university to discourage people from going.

But all the best whatever you decide. Both PCDA and your uni course are decent options. If you have any more questions about university or policing feel free to ask, given I’ve done a huge amount of my own research into the pros and cons!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending