student12_34
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi! I would really appreciate some help on whether I should do french a level...

So I’m been considering doing french a level for quite a few months now but I’m just worried I would find it too hard. I wondered if anyone whose done french a level or knows about it could give me their honest advice on whether it would be sensible for me to take it, considering that although I enjoy it it’s a very hard a level and I found the GCSE quite challenging.

French used to be the subject I found the hardest and I didn’t enjoy it until this year, however now I really love it and think it’s a great skill to learn a language. I got a 5 in my gcse french mock however I put in much more work and for my recent exams I have got 9s in reading, speaking and writing however I got 53% in my listening (I find listening very hard (which I am quite worried about) for some reason, although this is a big improvement from my 3 in my mock). However, at a level I have heard you can control the recording, and I find this much easier. So I’m predicting I will probably get an 8. However, everyone in my school who does french is fluent/ is really naturally great at languages and I feel like I would struggle considering a lot of people have told me to do a level french you have to ace the gcse and get a solid 9. A level languages I have heard can be inconsistently marked and have very high grade boundaries where it it very hard to get an A/A*. I’m hoping to go to a university that may need A/A*s at a level and I just don’t think there is a very high chance that I would be able to get an A let alone an A* at a level or if I did I would have to put in loads of work, which I don’t know is the best decision to make and I don’t want to put loads of pressure on myself just because I enjoy a subject.

I don’t know whether it would be more sensible to do RS/maths/English (one of my other possible options) along with geography and history because although these are hard a levels I feel that it is more possible that I could get a good grade with hard work than french and I still enjoy them. I guess I could always learn french in the future and don’t need to do it as an A-level where university is dependent on my grades.

Does anyone have any advice on whether I should choose french or your personal experience as even though I really enjoy it I don’t know whether it is sensible to choose a subject which I find harder and there is a risk I may damage my chances of being able to get the grades for a uni offer. However, I would be prepared to work hard at it and find it very enjoyable.

Thank you so much if you read this far and any advice would be much appreciated!
drs.vud.192
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hey there, grade 9 French student in the same position as you (finishing year 11) here to help!

Honestly, I would say that considering your passion for French, you should definitely consider taking it for A Level. Just because a subject is difficult, does not by any stretch of the imagination mean you shouldn't take it. If I chose my A Levels based on how easy/difficult a subject is, then no way would I be doing history next year. French is a very good subject to take as an A Level due to the fact that it is a traditional and very academic subject, and as such highly regarded by universities.

Overall, I would seriously recommend that you consider picking French. If you think that you can't get those top marks, then put your back into it and you'll get them, simple as that. I would say pick it, try it, and see how it goes and decide whether you like it or not. A-Level choices are flexible for the first half term, after all.

Hope this helps.
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
What do you want to study?

It sounds like you really enjoy French and have boosted your grade considerably already, which bodes well (language results can be quite proportional to the work you put in). Have you spoken to your teachers about you taking the A level and how they feel about that? Would you be able to drop it easily if you did find it too challenging?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
8.93%
I need help researching courses (5)
8.93%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.36%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
42.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (14)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.57%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.36%

Watched Threads