Persuasive Essay

Watch this thread
thegoodstudent06
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m writing my persuasive essay for the SQA Nat5 English coursework in the next couple of weeks but can’t think of any good arguments to argue for/against. Anyone got any suggestions?
Last edited by thegoodstudent06; 1 year ago
Bunny-hop123
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Have you ever read TS Eliot's "Murder in the Cathedral?" In the last bit, the four Knights who murdered Beckett, stand up and make a speech. Each one persuades you that you've just seen a suicide and not a murder.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
This is a list
homework
terrorism
murder
gun violence
teamwork at school
housework
Quality of education
Bullying
Bunny-hop123
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Well the bullying of Seyi Omooba is worth consideration.
If you want details, just google The Stage (a newspaper who led the bullying campaign against her) and Christian Concern (who tried to defend her.) She ended up with £350,000 court costs.
thegoodstudent06
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Bunny-hop123)
Have you ever read TS Eliot's "Murder in the Cathedral?" In the last bit, the four Knights who murdered Beckett, stand up and make a speech. Each one persuades you that you've just seen a suicide and not a murder.
No I have not read the book but it seems interesting. Thanks
Bunny-hop123
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by thegoodstudent06)
No I have not read the book but it seems interesting. Thanks
Yes, it is play actually and if memory serves me correctly, I think that it was awarded a Nobel prize.
If you get the play from Waterstones and then read the script while listening to it via audible, you'll really enjoy it.
And the "persuasive writing" at the end, when the murderers persuade the audience that Thomas killed himself, is probably the best bit of "Persuasive Writing" that I've ever read.
Bunny-hop123
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by thegoodstudent06)
I’m writing my persuasive essay for the SQA Nat5 English coursework in the next couple of weeks but can’t think of any good arguments to argue for/against. Anyone got any suggestions?
Have you thought about going to youtube and looking at the Oxford Debate Society?
Each speaker stands up and gives a persuasive point of view.
Other "persuaders" to look up include Andrew Doyle, Peter Whittle, Christopher Hitchen, (sadly dead now), Rod Liddle, David Starkey - now you don't have to believe what they say... I hasten to add - but they all have a way with words!!! Andrew Doyle and his comedy creation "Titannia McGrath" is probably the best.

https://youtu.be/g3Dx05AzPYg No, I tell a lie... this woman's the best.
Last edited by Bunny-hop123; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (65)
27.78%
As I expected (73)
31.2%
Harder (88)
37.61%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.42%

Watched Threads