Placement advice - Accounting and finance BA

Watch this thread
emadara
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I’m currently a second year Accounting and finance student at MMU and as part of my degree I can complete an industrial placement for 12 months before going into my final year
Now the problem I’m having is that I’m unsure as to whether I should bother with a placement year

The issue I have is that if I do this placement I’m setting myself a year behind as the important goal for an accounting degree is to become ACCA qualified right?
As much as this placement year will give me experience and add to my CV, I dont know if it’s worth it in the grande scheme of things as I can get experience after graduating that will be more valuable towards my ACCA qualification.
If anyone can give me some advice in this matter and if there’s anyone who has completed placement or not completed a placement then I’d really appreciate your thoughts on this and how beneficial you found your placement to be towards the final degree and towards the ACCA qualification?
If you could go back would you still complete it ?
Swegmeister59
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 months ago
I did a placement year and I think its the most valuable part of my university experience, I would thoroughly recommend doing one if you can. There is quite a steep initial learning curve when going into accounting/finance and adapting to a corporate environment. It took me several months to get a basic grasp of what I was doing. When you're a placement student its expected you'll take a bit of adapt and where I worked my team was very cognisant of this and were very supportive. I felt enabled to get good work done. Now that I'm about to graduate and start a graduate scheme I feel more confident going in, I've already experienced a lot of the teething problems that come starting out. The other major benefit is obviously it gold plates your cv and makes interviewing 10x easier, you wont struggle to get a graduate job if you have that 12 months of relevant experience. You'll have much more to talk about in interview, to back up that youre a great candidate.

There are some downsides though. You'll get FOMO leaving your mates behind at uni. I moved to a completely new major city, hours from my uni and also a few hours from my hometown where my family and friends lived. This was really tough and quite isolating at times. I thought coming back to uni would be tough because a lot of my mates would graduate but you'll be surprised how many do masters/stay an additional year so that wasnt an issue in the end. I dont know much about ACCA but you could look into if placement year experience counts towards the required 3 years to qualify. Then you could be qualified at the same age while getting the benefits of doing a placement.
Johnmurphy
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Hope you succeed soon brother
SSA123
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Swegmeister59)
I did a placement year and I think its the most valuable part of my university experience, I would thoroughly recommend doing one if you can. There is quite a steep initial learning curve when going into accounting/finance and adapting to a corporate environment. It took me several months to get a basic grasp of what I was doing. When you're a placement student its expected you'll take a bit of adapt and where I worked my team was very cognisant of this and were very supportive. I felt enabled to get good work done. Now that I'm about to graduate and start a graduate scheme I feel more confident going in, I've already experienced a lot of the teething problems that come starting out. The other major benefit is obviously it gold plates your cv and makes interviewing 10x easier, you wont struggle to get a graduate job if you have that 12 months of relevant experience. You'll have much more to talk about in interview, to back up that youre a great candidate.

There are some downsides though. You'll get FOMO leaving your mates behind at uni. I moved to a completely new major city, hours from my uni and also a few hours from my hometown where my family and friends lived. This was really tough and quite isolating at times. I thought coming back to uni would be tough because a lot of my mates would graduate but you'll be surprised how many do masters/stay an additional year so that wasnt an issue in the end. I dont know much about ACCA but you could look into if placement year experience counts towards the required 3 years to qualify. Then you could be qualified at the same age while getting the benefits of doing a placement.
Hi, could you help me finding a placement. I have just finished masters in accounting and finance and I am struggling to find a placement. The deadline to secure a placement is 6th of March. Another question is that I am applying for graduate schemes in big companies and I am at the last stage of their recruitment process. I want to know if I start my placement in March (that should be of 9 months), can I start my graduate scheme from September?
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by SSA123)
Hi, could you help me finding a placement. I have just finished masters in accounting and finance and I am struggling to find a placement. The deadline to secure a placement is 6th of March. Another question is that I am applying for graduate schemes in big companies and I am at the last stage of their recruitment process. I want to know if I start my placement in March (that should be of 9 months), can I start my graduate scheme from September?
Why do a placement if you can start a permenant job - especially a grad scheme.
SSA123
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
So should I leave the March placement and wait for the graduate scheme that will start in sept 2022. Also it is not confirmed that I'll pass the final interview of graduate scheme.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (23)
18.7%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (13)
10.57%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (8)
6.5%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (21)
17.07%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (32)
26.02%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
21.14%

Watched Threads