feel like I'm running out of options

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Last year I started uni doing a course I didn't really want to after taking a gap year, I then dithered throughout the year eventually deciding to switch course, I was very sure I wouldn't repeat the same mistake but I did, I think alongside health issues and being at home as well as laziness it's going to be tough for me to make into next year. At my age now I need to start earning money to support my family but if I don't make into next year I would have to start again and would graduate at 24, I'm not sure if I can do that, without that I don't have many options, I have AAA at A level but it's starting to feel useless.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey!
Graduating at 24 or not- you will still be 24 in a couple of years time.
However, at 24, do you want to have accomplished university in a course that you truly enjoy? Or make it to 24 and feel regret that you never chose something you were passionate about! I say go for it!!
I think everybody has especially suffered with the past 12 months and lacked motivation, so don't beat yourself up! We're all only human at the end of the day, I don't think anybody would have known how to fully prepare for such drastic changes to our everyday life.
Maybe opt for a part time distance course so you can focus on both a part time job, and education! It may take 12 months longer, but this way you're not going to feel financially strapped
Hope you feel better soon!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hey!
Graduating at 24 or not- you will still be 24 in a couple of years time.
However, at 24, do you want to have accomplished university in a course that you truly enjoy? Or make it to 24 and feel regret that you never chose something you were passionate about! I say go for it!!
I think everybody has especially suffered with the past 12 months and lacked motivation, so don't beat yourself up! We're all only human at the end of the day, I don't think anybody would have known how to fully prepare for such drastic changes to our everyday life.
Maybe opt for a part time distance course so you can focus on both a part time job, and education! It may take 12 months longer, but this way you're not going to feel financially strapped
Hope you feel better soon!
I just can't seem to see past getting my degree after so long, but I made this same mistake last year which made me dither and shell up.
Anonymous #1
I just can't seem to see past getting my degree after so long, but I made this same mistake last year which made me dither and shell up.
I still brood over past decisions even though I know it isn't doing me any good, I know I need to get back on track but I can't seem to do it, I had all the determination and motivation a few years ago, I used to have a drive and strong ambitions for the future but now everything feels pointless. Since starting university I have fallen further and further behind. I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
I still brood over past decisions even though I know it isn't doing me any good, I know I need to get back on track but I can't seem to do it, I had all the determination and motivation a few years ago, I used to have a drive and strong ambitions for the future but now everything feels pointless. Since starting university I have fallen further and further behind. I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience.
I know this is a sensitive topic, but are there any mental health issues that you have developed that you may require tackling first? I developed depression after graduating which significantly hindered me from deciding to study my masters degree. Once I understood my other emotions, I knew my Masters degree was what I wanted to accomplish.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I know this is a sensitive topic, but are there any mental health issues that you have developed that you may require tackling first? I developed depression after graduating which significantly hindered me from deciding to study my masters degree. Once I understood my other emotions, I knew my Masters degree was what I wanted to accomplish.
How did you get past it? What do you think was holding you back? I ask because I'm trying to draw parallels and find a new way of thinking
Anonymous #3
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm having troubles with uni as well and I really don't like it. but I'm pushing through I guess. just do a bit of work everyday, make it a routine and it will feel better.
but maybe uni isn't for you... try look for diff options like an apprenticeship or something
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm having troubles with uni as well and I really don't like it. but I'm pushing through I guess. just do a bit of work everyday, make it a routine and it will feel better.
but maybe uni isn't for you... try look for diff options like an apprenticeship or something
I come from a conservative family so the idea of having a degree is very important, are you unhappy with your course/uni?
Anonymous #4
Report 2 weeks ago
you put a lot of your self worth into uni which is also not good. Having a passion for something isn't inherently bad, but when you are like this about it and explaining how it's affecting your self worth, etc. then it's a problem. At the end of the day, uni or education isn't everything and it doesn't determine who you are
hotpud
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Last year I started uni doing a course I didn't really want to after taking a gap year, I then dithered throughout the year eventually deciding to switch course, I was very sure I wouldn't repeat the same mistake but I did, I think alongside health issues and being at home as well as laziness it's going to be tough for me to make into next year. At my age now I need to start earning money to support my family but if I don't make into next year I would have to start again and would graduate at 24, I'm not sure if I can do that, without that I don't have many options, I have AAA at A level but it's starting to feel useless.
You are not lazy. You are just unmotivated. Why are you continuing to do a university course that provides no joy or sense of achievement? Sack it in and get a job. You have the rest of your life to go to university. Don't waste your youth doing something you don't want to do.

Good luck!
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by hotpud)
You are not lazy. You are just unmotivated. Why are you continuing to do a university course that provides no joy or sense of achievement? Sack it in and get a job. You have the rest of your life to go to university. Don't waste your youth doing something you don't want to do.

Good luck!
I know I want degree, I a potential way out for me seems to be finding a source of income whilst I study. I don't particularly enjoy anything I have a passion for a certain subject but there's no particular jobs within that field and I study it as leisure
CosmicApathy1
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Oh well
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by CosmicApathy1)
Oh well
??
hotpud
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I know I want degree, I a potential way out for me seems to be finding a source of income whilst I study. I don't particularly enjoy anything I have a passion for a certain subject but there's no particular jobs within that field and I study it as leisure
Ok. So rather than focus on a subject you enjoy, why not focus on the things that you are good at? Are you interested in working in a team or on your own? Inside or outside? Do you want a job that has variety and every day is different or do you want a job that is predictable? Do you want to work with people, animals or no one? If you use that as a guide, it might help.

There is a brilliant website called https://www.startprofile.com. Sign up and answer the questions. It will give you suggestions which in turn will offer advice on how to train and get those roles.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (73)
38.22%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (19)
9.95%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.28%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (47)
24.61%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
13.09%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (15)
7.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed