The Student Room Group

english literature

what books do you study in English lit. at A-levels?
which one of the books are the best/most favorite?
Hi! It is really dependent on exam board and what your school chooses to teach. For example, my friend at another school studies The Great Gatsby - which I do not. I do Edexcel A-Level English Literature.
The books/plays/poetry I study/will study are:
-Frankenstein (Mary Shelley)
-The Handmaid's Tale (Margaret Atwood)
-A Streetcar Named Desire (Tennessee Williams)
-Poems of the Decade Anthology
-Othello (Shakespeare)
-A selection of poems by John Donne

The Handmaid's Tale is my fav, I absolutely love it. I love everything we do, but then again I will be reading English Lit at uni next year so I love most books :smile: I am happy to answer any more questions.
Original post by Ewhiskerd8
Hi! It is really dependent on exam board and what your school chooses to teach. For example, my friend at another school studies The Great Gatsby - which I do not. I do Edexcel A-Level English Literature.
-Othello (Shakespeare)

The Handmaid's Tale is my fav, I absolutely love it. I love everything we do, but then again I will be reading English Lit at uni next year so I love most books :smile: I am happy to answer any more questions.

To be honest i dont exactly study english literature, i really enjoyed it at secondry school as i got a B for it, i wanted to continue this at A-Levels, i had a passion for it as i love books but i had other passions too and didnt know what to do, i enjoyed fashion and textiles too, i also am interested in physcology and biology and childcare.
unfortunately the collage that was closest to me only had 3 subjects which limited my oppertunities as i wasnt also able to travel far as well, so i chose childcare as i didint like health and social care and i cant do ESOL any ways.
but oh well, it was destiny.......... LOL
Original post by Ewhiskerd8
-Othello (Shakespeare)

good luck with john donne, i absolutely hated it haha i’ve just finished my a levels so if you need any resources then let me know
Original post by Aminaofficial
To be honest i dont exactly study english literature, i really enjoyed it at secondry school as i got a B for it, i wanted to continue this at A-Levels, i had a passion for it as i love books but i had other passions too and didnt know what to do, i enjoyed fashion and textiles too, i also am interested in physcology and biology and childcare.
unfortunately the collage that was closest to me only had 3 subjects which limited my oppertunities as i wasnt also able to travel far as well, so i chose childcare as i didint like health and social care and i cant do ESOL any ways.
but oh well, it was destiny.......... LOL

I’m sure you’ll love whatever you do - good luck!! :smile:

Quick Reply