The Student Room Group

Interview advice for my first job

Hello so i’ve got an interview for sports direct on Thursday. If anyone has had an interview there too what was it like and what type of questions did they ask? Also generally any advice for getting the job and answering the questions well?
Sorry I don't have any advice as I've never had a job interview before but maybe you could try watching mock interviews on youtube. I applied here too over a week ago and haven't heard back. So i'm wondering how long after your online application did you hear back from them and was it through email or call? Also good luck with the interview, I hope you get the job! x
Reply 2
Original post by elizabethxo
Sorry I don't have any advice as I've never had a job interview before but maybe you could try watching mock interviews on youtube. I applied here too over a week ago and haven't heard back. So i'm wondering how long after your online application did you hear back from them and was it through email or call? Also good luck with the interview, I hope you get the job! x

Hey thank you i applied the day before yesterday i think and got an email about the interview today. I hope you hear back soon.
Original post by mxx454
Hello so i’ve got an interview for sports direct on Thursday. If anyone has had an interview there too what was it like and what type of questions did they ask? Also generally any advice for getting the job and answering the questions well?

Certain questions they are very likely to ask are why you have applied for the job and a question about customer service - like what you think good customer service is or what you would do in a situation such as if a customer asked for something you didn't have in stock
Original post by mxx454
Hey thank you i applied the day before yesterday i think and got an email about the interview today. I hope you hear back soon.

How did the interview go?:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by AfricanDream
How did the interview go?:smile:

It went really well the guy said he would’ve hired me but i live too far so idek why he interviewed me in the first place. So annoying bc i’ve applied for like 25 jobs and haven’t got anything yet :frown:.
Original post by mxx454
It went really well the guy said he would’ve hired me but i live too far so idek why he interviewed me in the first place. So annoying bc i’ve applied for like 25 jobs and haven’t got anything yet :frown:.

I am glad the interview itself went well, but it's horrible that you didn't get the job because of how far away you lived. That is incredibly unfair, you applied for the job so you are obviously willing to travel in so I don't see why he should have a problem with where you live as long as you are a good, reliable employee. Also, as you said, you did he interview you if her thought you lived too far away? Out of curiosity, how far away from the store do you live?

I worked at Debenhams for 6 months until the store closed down in March this year, I have done some applications since then in between other commitments but nothing has come from that. I even applied to Sports Direct for a summer casual role about 2 weeks ago and haven't had any response beyond the initial acknowledgement that they received the application. They are still accepting applications for the position so I don't know if this is why they haven't gotten back to me or if I can assume that I my application is not being taken to the next stage. How long did it take for them to get in contact with you after you submitted your application?

Sorry that this happened to you, I hope you find a job soon. xx
Reply 7
Original post by AfricanDream
I am glad the interview itself went well, but it's horrible that you didn't get the job because of how far away you lived. That is incredibly unfair, you applied for the job so you are obviously willing to travel in so I don't see why he should have a problem with where you live as long as you are a good, reliable employee. Also, as you said, you did he interview you if her thought you lived too far away? Out of curiosity, how far away from the store do you live?

I worked at Debenhams for 6 months until the store closed down in March this year, I have done some applications since then in between other commitments but nothing has come from that. I even applied to Sports Direct for a summer casual role about 2 weeks ago and haven't had any response beyond the initial acknowledgement that they received the application. They are still accepting applications for the position so I don't know if this is why they haven't gotten back to me or if I can assume that I my application is not being taken to the next stage. How long did it take for them to get in contact with you after you submitted your application?

Sorry that this happened to you, I hope you find a job soon. xx

I live like 5 miles from that store so it took me like an hour on the bus. I thought it’s be fine too but he said i’m not flexible enough because e.g if he ever needed me to cover someone’s shift at short notice i wouldn’t get there on time. Sports direct replied to me pretty quickly i think it was 2 days but it was only that quick because they were hiring a lot of people for a new store opening. I’m in the same boat as you though, applied to loads of jobs weeks ago and not heard back from most of them. I’ve just recently started applied for carehome jobs though and have an interview tomorrow so hopefully that goes well.
Reply 8
The economy is tough right now, getting anyjob is a blessing in disguise. I can give you a few pointers in terms of interview advice...

1) Dress the part, you need to look smart. No one wants to hire someone who looks scruffy.
2) Be prepared to answer tough questions. You need to know what you are talking about and what you are doing, you can't just wing it.
3) Don't act arrogrant, arrogance comes off badly, it's very easy to spot and an automatic rejection in the job.
Original post by mxx454
I live like 5 miles from that store so it took me like an hour on the bus. I thought it’s be fine too but he said i’m not flexible enough because e.g if he ever needed me to cover someone’s shift at short notice i wouldn’t get there on time. Sports direct replied to me pretty quickly i think it was 2 days but it was only that quick because they were hiring a lot of people for a new store opening. I’m in the same boat as you though, applied to loads of jobs weeks ago and not heard back from most of them. I’ve just recently started applied for carehome jobs though and have an interview tomorrow so hopefully that goes well.

Oh wow, how unfair. That's not even very far away. Thanks! Fingers crossed for you, I hope your care home interview went well!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending