The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Applying for uni without required grades

So basically I had a pretty sticky few teen years and early adult life, kicked the can around a little bit in regards as to what direction I've taken career and education wise. I did pretty miserably at school, I failed maths (GCSE E) just about got my english (GCSE C) did moderately at other subjects (GCSE C in DT/GCSE B in RE) (BTEC merit in ICT) and D in history/E in graphics. I then went on to college to study media at A level and dropped out midway through my first year due to social anxiety I was under and not feeling comfortable at the college I was at despite being on top of my work bar one or two missed assignments and failing my maths resit. After dropping out I went from crappy temp warehouse job one to the next and felt unfufilled and always wanted more, so since being the age of 6 I've dreamed of joining the Army and again when I was 19 renewed my interest, unfortunately when I applied recently I got rejected medically due to previous mental health issues as a teen/child after managing to get my fitness at a correct standard. Now I'm here, jobless, careerless, no higher education, clock ticking away (turned 22 in April) and I have no way of getting into uni or a desired job as I pretty much threw away everything at the age of 17 without realising what I was doing. I will say for years (from the age of 16) I've been deeply interested in geopolitics/religion/conflicts/history/Arabic and Middle eastern culture/photography/hiking/military equipment and history/music and have in the last few years been thinking of going to uni, infact I often dream of it. I kind of want to pursue learning arabic and studying politics and maybe travelling the Middle East as I'm simply fascinated by its culture and history. And I was just wondering is there a way in my circumstances I can apply to study this or what I would need to study this, any advice would be hugely appreciated!
Have you tried looking into taking maths and English gcse to get onto an access course or foundation year. Also because I think you need 5 GCSEs a BTEC counts as 4 as there were people at my college that didn’t have enough GCSEs so they did a BTEC alongside maths or English to get onto a level 3 course which would allow you to progress to your uni course.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Have you tried looking into taking maths and English gcse to get onto an access course or foundation year. Also because I think you need 5 GCSEs a BTEC counts as 4 as there were people at my college that didn’t have enough GCSEs so they did a BTEC alongside maths or English to get onto a level 3 course which would allow you to progress to your uni course.

Forgot to mention that I'm going to resit GCSE maths starting in September at a local college.
talk to careers asap - you'd be pleasantly surprised!
you may have to go back and finish your A levels potentially though
in terms of learning Arabic and continuing study - take a look on your local council page etc, see if there are any adult education classes etc

all the best and do keep us updated!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending