The Student Room Group

How to get a job in IT sector

This post it more to help my boyfriend than anything.
He graduated a few years ago from the university of Gloucester with an degree in computing.
He wants to go into this sector but hasn’t got any experience directly related to it.
He has experience working in retail and for the last 2 years has worked in insurance.
How can we go about getting him into the IT sector? Every job we look at wants previous experience.
Is it worth him completing a masters?
Reply 1
Original post by Rainbowpink1999x
He graduated a few years ago from the university of Gloucester with an degree in computing.
He wants to go into this sector but hasn’t got any experience directly related to it.
He has experience working in retail and for the last 2 years has worked in insurance.
How can we go about getting him into the IT sector? Every job we look at wants previous experience.

Masters would be pointless.
Grad schemes don't tend to need direct experience.

There are always organizations that take graduates without previous experience, this is often a lengthy contract though. Look up FDM or Sparta Global or Ten10. They don't require any previous experience and take graduates into 10-14 weeks training before setting them up with one of their clients. This contract however is 2 years long so you will need to stick to it in the long run. I just got hired for one of these graduate programmes and I finished University 2 weeks ago. Best of luck, feel free to DM me for any further questions (:
Reply 3

I would advise signing up to an agency or join groups like FDM tech consulting scheme, which train you and introduce you to those sectors. Master wouldn't be much help unless you're wanting to get into a specific route.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending