Combined science to Chem a level

Watch
MelWS
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hey! Anyone who did combined science at gcse and then went on to do chem alevel, what grade did u get a gcse and how are u finding a level??
turkeydinosaur16
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by MelWS)
Hey! Anyone who did combined science at gcse and then went on to do chem alevel, what grade did u get a gcse and how are u finding a level??
Hiya! So I did separate science but quite a few of my friends did combined. I'd say maybe in the first month you can tell the difference, simply because in my course the first topic was all about titration calculations which we'd done more of in separate. After that point the actual content doesn't have much overlap from GCSE. That doesn't mean it doesn't help to have understanding from GCSE but I don't think your knowledge as a combined science student will set you back at all. I can think of grades ranging from A-C at A Level and probably ranging between 6s and 8s at GCSE for people who did combined (there are some A*s and 9s from the separate science group but I wouldn't attribute their GCSE as the sole reason to why they've done better). Different people have made differing amounts of progress from GCSE to A Level but I would honestly say their GCSE choice hasn't affected this.

Chemistry is definitely hard at points and there's lots to remember but I'd probably say its my favourite A Level (controversial opinion I know!). My advice would be to ask if you're unsure whether that be your teacher or other students because in my opinion that is the key difference between people who make more and people who make less progress, not whether they took combined or separate.

Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (19)
7.57%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
14.74%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (45)
17.93%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (36)
14.34%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (67)
26.69%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
18.73%

Watched Threads