Alevel maths help

Watch this thread
godemperor
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
A discrete random variable x has a Binomial distribution B(30, p). A single observation is used to test H0 : p = 0.3 against H1 : p >0.3

X~B(30,0.3), using 1% significant level find the critical region and state the probability of rejection.

not sure what the answer is but I got X ≤ 3 and probability of failure is 0.0093.
Can some one tell me if im right or how i can get the right answer
Last edited by RIF A; 1 year ago
old_engineer
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by RIF A)
A discrete random variable x has a Binomial distribution B(30, p). A single observation is used to test H0 : p = 0.3 against H1 : p >0.3

X~B(30,0.3), using 1% significant level find the critical region and state the probability of rejection.

not sure what the answer is but I got X ≤ 3 and probability of failure is 0.0093.
It looks to me as though you've carried out a correct hypothesis test for H1: p < 0.3 rather than p > 0.3
turkeydinosaur16
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by RIF A)

I think your method is correct but I think you've looked at the wrong tail of the test. H1 says p>0.3 so you're looking for the likelihood of more of 'x' being selected than expected (i.e. in a perfect world you'd expect 0.3*30 = 9 successful outcomes but if H1 is true, there'd be more successful outcomes so the value would be greater than 9). You therefore need to look at the cumulative probability in the table that exceeds 0.99 e.g. where the outcomes after this point collectively add to 0.01.

Using the statistics table, I got p(X ≤ 15) = 0.9936

The last step is to convert this to show which value and above result in a less than 1% likelihood. Let me know if you need any help on this
godemperor
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by turkeydinosaur16)
I think your method is correct but I think you've looked at the wrong tail of the test. H1 says p>0.3 so you're looking for the likelihood of more of 'x' being selected than expected (i.e. in a perfect world you'd expect 0.3*30 = 9 successful outcomes but if H1 is true, there'd be more successful outcomes so the value would be greater than 9). You therefore need to look at the cumulative probability in the table that exceeds 0.99 e.g. where the outcomes after this point collectively add to 0.01.

Using the statistics table, I got p(X ≤ 15) = 0.9936

The last step is to convert this to show which value and above result in a less than 1% likelihood. Let me know if you need any help on this
thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (36)
26.47%
As I expected (45)
33.09%
Harder (48)
35.29%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
5.15%

Watched Threads