The Student Room Group

Why am I not getting any jobs?

I’ve applied to multiple retail jobs including next, sports direct, footlocker, Starbucks etc but I keep getting rejected!😞 I have never made it to the interview stage and literally get rejected after applying online. I know because of COVID it’s obviously going to be hard but I’m applying to the same places as my friends at the same time as them and they make it through to the interview stage! I’ve changed my CV multiple times and personally I think it’s quite good! I’m 16 turning 17 in a month so on my CV I’ve included voluntary experience such as nursery worker in a church, food attendant in high school, Tesco bag packing scheme, and mentioned that I was a senior prefect and reading mentor and got 7 GCSEs at grade 7-8 and how all these skills can help me.
Can I have some advice please? I’m fed up and don’t know what I’m supposed to do :/
(edited 2 years ago)
Surprised Sports Direct didn't hire you. They were the first place I worked at. My assistant manager was kinda dopey and hired a 15-year-old without even realising which shows they'll pretty much hire absolutely anyone without even reading their job application properly.
Original post by RichPiana
Surprised Sports Direct didn't hire you. They were the first place I worked at. My assistant manager was kinda dopey and hired a 15-year-old without even realising which shows they'll pretty much hire absolutely anyone without even reading their job application properly.

Which is why I’m even more confused! I applied 10 days ago and haven’t heard since so I’m guessing I got declined as from what I’ve seen people who are successful hear back much earlier ):
Original post by elizabethxo
Which is why I’m even more confused! I applied 10 days ago and haven’t heard since so I’m guessing I got declined as from what I’ve seen people who are successful hear back much earlier ):

There’s not much else you can do other than keep applying to places. It took me ages to find my job. Even today when I have around 2 years of work experience and a degree I’m still struggling to find something.
GCSE's mean nothing
Original post by .Not known.
GCSE's mean nothing

That’s not my point though is it?🤣🤣
In a onner, keep trying... at least half the jobs i've got have been being in the right place at the right time rather than my CV.

In reality, at 16 your CV is kinda... pointless, if anything it's a creative writing exercise, as beyond school and volunteering there isn't much you CAN have done. but it's just something you still need to write. What are your friends writing on theirs? what's different? When your writing a cover letter or core skill section, try and make sure you're matching EXACTLY what their job ad asked for.

One big prob with retail & hospitality jobs is that many of these places already have a big list of part time and redundant staff from over a year ago that they're mostly going to prefer. Are any of your friends going to work in places where they could put in a good word for you?
Reply 7
It’s most likely just supply and demand and luck. Get a few people to comment on your cv and if they don’t spot anything glaring then it’s just about patience and tenacity
Apply to the jobs that are just posted. If it's a job that a 16 year old can get then it's probably a job that anyone can get, in which case it's pretty much first come first serve.
From personal experience, I recommend sending your resume for review. I also had a problem with employment. My future employer criticized my resume. I was recommended to go to a resume writing service http://skillroads.com/free-resume-review, and as it turned out, they can do a resume review, completely free of charge. It pleasantly surprised me, the experts told me what was wrong in my resume and helped me build a new resume. And I successfully got a job.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by DanielaDark
From personal experience, I recommend sending your resume for review. I also had a problem with employment. My future employer criticized my resume. I was recommended to go to a resume writing service, and as it turned out, they can do a resume review, completely free of charge. It pleasantly surprised me, the experts told me what was wrong in my resume and helped me build a new resume. And I successfully got a job.

Thank you! How did you find a resume writing service? The ones I’ve seen are charging high amounts
Thank you! How did you find a resume writing service? The ones I’ve seen are charging high amounts

Deffo don't pay for it. At your level you'll find plenty of free advice and guides, even on TSR. Like you could pay £500 to some CV expert... but there's still only so much they can write about 'school' & 'volunteering' y'know?

If i was looking to land a specific senior job with a big well known firm and wanted to make sure my application, qualifications and experience etc were all showcased to the VERY best professional standards and etiquette possible, then I might consider paying for a tailored CV. Might.

There's a free one on TSR, just look at the menu at the top of the page or follower the link you were given before.
Original post by StriderHort
Deffo don't pay for it. At your level you'll find plenty of free advice and guides, even on TSR. Like you could pay £500 to some CV expert... but there's still only so much they can write about 'school' & 'volunteering' y'know?

If i was looking to land a specific senior job with a big well known firm and wanted to make sure my application, qualifications and experience etc were all showcased to the VERY best professional standards and etiquette possible, then I might consider paying for a tailored CV. Might.

Thanks! I appreciate your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending