Having fm as my third subject applying to imperial

Watch
LeoHsieh20040725
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Would i get rejected, I do math fm and physics, I have terrible GCSEs, got an A* in my math this year and predicted AA for fm and physics and I want to apply for earth and planetary science which requires AAA do I stand a chance?
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Only doing 2 A-levels in year 13 might be an issue - or it might not be. If you had already done A-level maths and were doing 3 other subjects, they'd likely still set an offer for 3 subjects. Only way to be sure is to phone them and ask if they consider applications where one A-level is already achieved and two are due to be done. There's a phone number and an email address here on the department website: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/earth-sci...ts/ug-courses/.

GCSEs shouldn't matter. Imperial don't look at them, except for English language - if you don't have a 6 then you need some other way of proving to them that you understand English. Like IELTS.

I can't find data for the Earth and planetary science course, but courses in the earth sciences dept tend to be less competitive then others. So I think you should be ok.
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by LeoHsieh20040725)
Would i get rejected, I do math fm and physics, I have terrible GCSEs, got an A* in my math this year and predicted AA for fm and physics and I want to apply for earth and planetary science which requires AAA do I stand a chance?
I've moved the thread to the Imperial forum btw.
LeoHsieh20040725
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Only doing 2 A-levels in year 13 might be an issue - or it might not be. If you had already done A-level maths and were doing 3 other subjects, they'd likely still set an offer for 3 subjects. Only way to be sure is to phone them and ask if they consider applications where one A-level is already achieved and two are due to be done. There's a phone number and an email address here on the department website: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/earth-sci...ts/ug-courses/.

GCSEs shouldn't matter. Imperial don't look at them, except for English language - if you don't have a 6 then you need some other way of proving to them that you understand English. Like IELTS.

I can't find data for the Earth and planetary science course, but courses in the earth sciences dept tend to be less competitive then others. So I think you should be ok.
So if they ask for three then I am dead essentially.
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
So if they ask for three then I am dead essentially.
Well no, they wouldn't set an impossible offer.
LeoHsieh20040725
Rep:
?
Okok, also I saw that earth science related subject like geophysics with a year abroad has got something like 96% offer rate are those data accurate? Since I am kinda curious why such an elite uni have a offer rate that’s so high
Qxi.xli
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

wait so will imperial mind if I only do maths FM physics? for Physics?
Last edited by Qxi.xli; 2 months ago
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Qxi.xli)
Are you sitting all three in the same year?
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Okok, also I saw that earth science related subject like geophysics with a year abroad has got something like 96% offer rate are those data accurate? Since I am kinda curious why such an elite uni have a offer rate that’s so high
Probably a low number of applicants.

(Original post by Qxi.xli)
if it's all 3 in the same year I don't see why they would mind. I might have had 4 A-levels but they didn't specify any grade for my 4th so I could've gotten a U and they'd be fine with it.
Qxi.xli
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Probably a low number of applicants.

if it's all 3 in the same year I don't see why they would mind. I might have had 4 A-levels but they didn't specify any grade for my 4th so I could've gotten a U and they'd be fine with it.
(Original post by Muttley79)
Are you sitting all three in the same year?
ok few thank youu
yes all in the same year
LeoHsieh20040725
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello I know this is an old thread but I just want to say that now my prediction grades are A*A* for both physics and furthermath, and I have an A* for alevel math, does the higher prediction fix the problem I mentioned or would it makes no difference.
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello I know this is an old thread but I just want to say that now my prediction grades are A*A* for both physics and furthermath, and I have an A* for alevel math, does the higher prediction fix the problem I mentioned or would it makes no difference.
Did you contact the department? That's the only way to be sure really. I'm not an admissions tutor.
LeoHsieh20040725
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Did you contact the department? That's the only way to be sure really. I'm not an admissions tutor.
Yes but there answer is very vague , also how much do they care about my personal statement, are they like LSE crazy for it or do they just don’t care.
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes but there answer is very vague , also how much do they care about my personal statement, are they like LSE crazy for it or do they just don’t care.
For Earth and Planetary Sciences, I don't know.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (43)
27.56%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
8.97%
No I am happy with my choice (88)
56.41%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (11)
7.05%

Watched Threads